SMC Discussion Areas
June 21, 2024, 02:57:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glasco Slider  (Read 8426 times)
CoolCat
10 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 07:54:33 pm »

I managed to negotiate the price of the machine down to $350 and picked it up on Friday.  The people who owned the machine for a few years said they never plugged it in (were afraid to), and it was just taking up space in the garage.  By the way, they have a bunch of oil and gas stuff that is not for sale.  They also had one of the Budweiser globes where the Clydesdales go around in a circle.  The wife said she would call me if they were to decide to sell any of it.  They had a big Shell sign, a big Gulf sign, and a couple of gas pumps.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.   

The machine is complete with the exception of the circulation fan in the box.  Apparently, the switch to the fan was stuck and the cord has been cut.  Overall, the machine appears to be in reasonable shape; however, the top coat of paint (red) has been scratched in many places so that the base coat (white) is showing through.  The top coat of paint doesn't appear to be very thick and and you can see that if you try to clean up the paint to vigorously you would wind up in the base coat (white).  When these machines were built originally, did they paint a white base coat and then put on a stencil and paint the red over top, so that the white fishtail coke logo remained as white?

It also appears that someone, at some point, had fiddled with the wiring and/or refrigeration system.  I decided to plug the machine in to see if it would do anything and hoped I would not get electrocuted.  As soon as I got power to it, I got a quick pop, the circuit breaker kicked, and I got a whiff of ozone.  Apparently, I am going to have a complete rewire job on my hands.

In the end, I think this is going to be my first attempt at a true "restoration" as opposed to my typical "rejuvenations".  So, you can expect to have innumerable questions coming from me during that process.  Does anyone have a manual for the GBV-50?  I haven't seen one in the download section.  I suppose this machine will have to wait its turn in line.  First, I need to finish my Seeburg 161 so it can go into service alongside my Seeburg R.  At any rate, I will post a series of pics so you can see what I have on my hands.

David

C-51
Vendo 63
Popcorn Machine

...needs more toys.
CoolCat
10 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 07:57:47 pm »

More pics

David

C-51
Vendo 63
Popcorn Machine

...needs more toys.
CoolCat
10 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 08:00:15 pm »

Yet more pics...

David

C-51
Vendo 63
Popcorn Machine

...needs more toys.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 08:06:46 pm »

Send them a thank you card with your contact information. If they ever do decide to sell, they have your info

Does the Clydesdale globe have the dog chasing the  wagon? Bud made  very few of those, and I was told by a Budweiser collector they are more valuable, and desirable.
I'd settle for either, and i don't drink Budweiser Smiley

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
CoolCat
10 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 08:31:39 pm »

Send them a thank you card with your contact information. If they ever do decide to sell, they have your info

Does the Clydesdale globe have the dog chasing the  wagon? Bud made  very few of those, and I was told by a Budweiser collector they are more valuable, and desirable.
I'd settle for either, and i don't drink Budweiser Smiley

Unfortunately, I didn't get close enough to it to see if it had the dog chasing the wagon.  It's good information to have for future reference though.  I'm not much on Bud/beer advertising, but I love that globe.

David

C-51
Vendo 63
Popcorn Machine

...needs more toys.
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 09:27:52 pm »

First, Slider bob told me this.. there is a second plug down underneath. try pluggin that one in. I did it with all 4 I picked up with really scary cords and all 4 worked. they still need rewire, but you know where you stand.

Second, Budweiser or not, you can always turn them to fund the addiction, so send them the thank you note like Kilroy said!!! With the fire sale price on this, you need to stay first on the list.

Tim
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: