SMC Discussion Areas
June 15, 2024, 07:04:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choice Vend CVC-142 Not Vending  (Read 8370 times)
phoneguydave

« on: July 02, 2012, 06:17:33 pm »

Hi.  I'm a self-admitted newbie who just got his first Coke machine last week (1970's, 4-selection Choice Vend model CVC-142).

I got it home and in the house (no small feat, with glaring looks by my wife the whole time) and it worked PERFECTLY!

I filled it w/my favorite sodas/water (not a beer guy), and it was great.  The machine keeps the beverages cool and until
this past Saturday morning (I've owned the machine a week), when I put in a quarter and made my selection, out came a nice cold soda.

UNFORTUNATELY, when I was showing a friend the machine, and we made about 4 selections, the machine stopped working.

By "stopped working" I mean that when we put the quarter in, I no longer hear the relay click in, allowing the selection to be made
and the machine to 'vend'.

So now, I put in my quarter, I hear it drop into the change catcher (forgive me if I use incorrect terminology), but nothing happens
when I push any of the 4 selector buttons.

When the machine is opened, none of the circuit breakers (1-4 or the "hold") seem to have popped (none need to be reset).

I have the schematic in the machine, but I'd appreciate any descriptions about what to check/try!  (Prob w/the coin changer?  {coinco S75-9800B}
Prob with the hold replay?)

I was so excited to find this site with experts and I hope that one/several of you can help me fix my machine so it will providing me
my ice-cold soda (and ice-cold water for my 5 year old!)

--Dave
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 06:51:24 pm »

Welcome Dave.  Sounds like your Coin mech may have failed. Test the machine by bypassing it and using a freeplay switch described in the coin mech section of this site.

Glen
phoneguydave

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:00:45 pm »

Thanks.  Rather than installing a freeplay switch (I like to have to put the quarter in!), is there a jumper or something
i can try to see if it is the coin mechanism that isn't working?

Also, if it is the coinco S75-9800B that needs to be replaced, does anyone recommend a source (other than ebay?)

Thanks much, all!

---Dave
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:10:45 pm »

Do a little searching here - there are some threads regarding the pins on the Jones socket to jump to initiate a 'vend'.   

If you do determine it is your 'mech, I highly recommend JohnieG - he's probably your best bet to get it repaired.   NFI, just a satisfied customer.  Johnie repaired the mech on my CS96e and he's about to have a go at the mech from my V80.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
phoneguydave

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 06:17:51 pm »

Thanks, Jim.

I have a bit more information now.  So I found the Operation and Service Manual for the S75-9800B coin changer.
I followed the instructions and checked the resistance on the primary and secondary sides of the low voltage transformer.
The impedances were almost spot on, so it appears that transformer (and thermal overload) are fine.

I then checked the three coin switches with my ohm meter, and they seemed to check out.

Then, w/the logic board removed from the coin changer (but still plugged in), I plugged the coin changer back into the machine.
I actuated the 25 cent switch and heard a "click".  But it still didn't seem to allow me to vend a soda by pushing one of the soda selections.

I then actuated the 5 cent switch 5 times (set to 25 cents, btw to vend) and again, same "click".  Still not able to vend.

I then actuated the 10 cent switch 3 times and this time same click, PLUS I got a nickle back for my trouble.

So, not sure exactly what is supposed to happen to determine if it is a problem w/the coin changer or w/the machine...should I have
heard a relay pull in (since the door was open and I was holding the coin changer) to allow the machine to let me make a selection?

Thanks.  JohnieG, or others, open to thoughts!

---Dave
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:02 pm »

Do you have enough product in the machine to hold down the flappers to dis-able the sold out switches ?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:54:01 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
phoneguydave

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 08:00:23 am »

Thanks for asking. Yes, there is lots of product and I pushed in the paddle switches w/a shim when the door was open to try to vend w/the door open (assuming there is nothing else preventing the machine from vending w/the door open).
Other thoughts?

phoneguydave

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 10:11:42 am »

I have more information that hopefully will allow you experts to diagnose my problem:

I took the relay box off the machine.  I took the back cover off, then plugged it back into the machine so I could observe
the relays.

(There appear to be 6 relays in the box - it appears to be for selections 1-4, a "hold relay" and then there appears to be another relay
which is screwed to the bottom of the relay box).

When I plugged the relay box (top and bottom) to the machine, what appears to be the "hold relay" immediately pulled in - and stayed in!
and the bottom relay - screwed to the box - also pulled in and is staying in.

Not sure if either/both are supposed to be continually energized or not, and whether that may be part of the problem associated w/the
machine not vending.

Again, thanks all for suggestions!  Tired of opening/closing the machine...want to get it back to just sticking in a quarter and making my selection!

---Dave
phoneguydave

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 07:33:16 pm »

Hi all.  Any suggestions based on my additional info (see last post)?

Should the "hold relay" and the other relay (I have a 4 selection machine; there are 4 relays, one per selection, a "hold relay"
and what appears to be a 6th relay at the bottom of the relay box..not sure what that is for) both pull in and stay in {energized}
all the time?

Does anyone think that either/both of those relays being pulled in have something to do with my non-vending issue?

If someone has suggestions what/where to check, I'd greatly appreciate it!  I don't mind checking, just not sure where to start!!

Thanks all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: