SMC Discussion Areas
June 15, 2024, 04:30:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Restoration, Pawns Stars, Storage Wars, Ect....  (Read 17686 times)
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 08:54:57 am »

Seems like I've read this before.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 08:58:46 am »

Tim...

You didn't get a $2 million dollar ocean view for $29.95?

Thanks for the economics lesson, Professor! Very well put.

Everyone else, DON'T let anyone tell you, "that's what these go for"

NOTHING goes for ANYTHING.... unless it sells! I've been beating this
drum for a while now. You can ask whatever you want...but until it's
sold, the item didn't go for "jack squat"....

Now excuse me.... I have a Vend V-90 to restore... for $8500. Thanks again Rick!  biggrin

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 09:29:56 am »

P.S.  The hunt sucks.

A lot of stuff.
dodge2500

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 11:32:30 am »

The hunt has become a wild goose chase.

Just to clarify, I was venting here because if I did to my wife she wouldn't understand.

The cost of red paint, chrome, zinc, parts, keeps going up because they are in such demand now. So yes the cost of restoring a machine has gone up to those of you who think it hasn't. That doesn't mean the value of the machine has gone up though, just the cost of restoration.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/clt/3023593482.html

Just because people are asking $3000 for a square top machine doesn't mean it is worth that. It just means they will never sell it. My whole point is that before these shows, when I went on eBay, Craigslist, etc.. I didn't have to sift through 40 ads on craigslist only to find one round top machine. I didn't have to drive 200 miles to talk to someone who thought they were an expert because they saw an episode on TV, where a 39 is worth $7000 and transforms into a 72. My favorite line when I am looking at a machine is, "You could restore this machine for $1000 and when your done it will be worth $5000." Everytime, it never fails. How does someone know how much it cost to restore a machine without every having done one themselves??? Because they saw it on T.V. Back before the shows everything was smooth and to the point. Before when someone would have me restore a machine, they would drop it off, and pick it up, and be happy. Now people ask me the process of how I restore a machine and tell me how they would do it.  censored

Also since I wrote this post last night, the guy I drove out to see has called me 5 times now. I guess he came back from mars and now wants to make a deal. He probably told his wife what I offered him... I wasted $108 in fuel plus time going out there the first time. I am going to let him sweat a little and will let you all know what goes down. I really don't care about the machine anymore and don't want to drive there again.
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 11:45:51 am »

P.S.  The hunt sucks.

I love the hunt, don't mine the restoring, hate reselling anything outside of ebay where common folk will pay what something is worth. (not ask the moon!!) This goes for machines, or anything else I come across.

And if someone wants $3000 for a square top Westinghouse and you waste your time and gas looking at it and making an offer, that is not their fault.

Tim
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 11:50:18 am »

I believe it to be a Vendo 81  Dave drove out to see.

when the buyers and sellers become more knowledgeable or research  more than looking at an Ebay ad, or  not blinking  for an overcharged quote it will stabilize

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
dodge2500

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 01:31:31 pm »

You couldn't pay me to take a square top machine. That was an example. It made me laugh for a good 10 minutes.
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 01:37:26 pm »

Well, I'll put my 10 cents in.....

What I see that these shows have done, other than get people interested and/or raise the prices because of supply and demand, is that people who have a half decent or even great oringinal 81, or 44, or 39 etc..  are "restoring" the machines themselves and passing them off as restored, when in reality what they have done is devalued the machine.  A car, or pop machine, signs etc are only original once.

THe way I see it is these shows have sped up the process of the original condition machines becoming low or non existent.  Sure, on the flip side these shows have saved a few machines, where Billy Bob the farmer might of had a 81 sitting outside rusting away until his grandson told him he could sell it for $$$ before it becomes rusted out.

If only these shows showed the benifits of keeping some machines original.  It just seems like everyone wants it restored.
I own restored and original machcines, and with the restored ones, they look awesome, I wont lie, but with the originals, they have character, and I look at the nicks and dings and wonder how they happened or who did them, and where are they now etc.....

So, will this hobby have it's ups and downs with regards to price?  Sure it will, like everything else.
YET, unlike other things, they dont make 81 RT's anymore.  They still make Dodge Chargers.

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 02:10:12 pm »

And if someone wants $3000 for a square top Westinghouse and you waste your time and gas looking at it and making an offer, that is not their fault.

Exactly!  biggrin

Well, I'll put my 10 cents in.....

If only these shows showed the benifits of keeping some machines original.  It just seems like everyone wants it restored.
I own restored and original machcines, and with the restored ones, they look awesome, I wont lie, but with the originals, they have character, and I look at the nicks and dings and wonder how they happened or who did them, and where are they now etc.....

happydrinkers

and I 100% agree with this also. Personally, I like the original machines. They've "earned" every scratch and bump on them. But,
there are some who want "new" and shiny. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.  smile

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »

Tim...

You didn't get a $2 million dollar ocean view for $29.95?

No, but someone got the important part for some beads and trinkets!!!! tounge Class dismissed!!

If only these shows showed the benifits of keeping some machines original.  It just seems like everyone wants it restored.

That show is American Pickers!!! Everything they buy is a rusty original piece of.... Rust!  biggrin And they are bringing the same attention to the sign market and old bicycles so I bet those message boards are making the same complaints... people like our hobby and are making my stuff worth more!!! Those b@stards!!!

Tim
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: