SMC Discussion Areas
June 01, 2024, 10:11:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Selectivend Model 4a  (Read 4006 times)
Jamesweddington

« on: June 23, 2012, 01:10:09 pm »

Hello all.  Thanks to moderators and everyone that supplies such valuable and helpful information through their posts.

So...first machine and need to learn some things.   What I know is it is a Selectivend Model 4a.  Was used in a small mom and pop country store but was put into storage about 15 years ago after they had a hard time getting bottles for it.  It is a Cheerwine machine which is a local soda here in NC and surrounding area. 

It runs when plugged in but does not get cold.  No key for lock.

First question:  There is no key and any numbers on lock have been worn off.  Is there a common key that would fit this lock?  I would like to get a key before I drill this lock out.  The guy I purchased it from was told by someone with Cheerwine that these machines had one key that was used more often than other ones and it was first in whatever numbered sequence the lock keys had??

If I cannot get a key, what kind of lock would fit this machine and any tips for drilling out the lock?

I will start with this and once I can get into the machine I will know what I am working with.

Thanks
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 11:26:38 pm »

Welcome to the board and thank you for the kind comments!
Without numbers for the lock you have three options:

Find a locksmith that has been in biz for years (40+). He will be able to pick it and generate new keys. Cost will vary.

Try and pick it yourself. YouTube has vids. Never had success with this but fun to try and you never know.

Drill it. You need to punch out the tumbler cylinders. Start with a 1/16" bit at the top of the key entry at high speed. Drill 3/4" deep try turning the lock with a large flatblade screwdriver, repeat until it turns.
Any questions just ask.
Creighton   
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 11:38:18 pm »

Don't drill it, that will only cost $20 for a new lock. I vote for the locksmith, that will be at least $100!!!  laugh

Tim
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:50:48 pm »

Disagree Sir.
Have had several locks picked and keyed for $30 bucks and the locksmith enjoyed working on the machines.
Creighton

MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 08:57:56 am »

Disagree Sir.
Have had several locks picked and keyed for $30 bucks and the locksmith enjoyed working on the machines.
Creighton

I was just playing. I called around in my area and they wanted $75 to show up and open it then $30 to key it. Sounds like you have some good guys around you. Sometimes you can find those people around here, but mostly they see dollar signs. I wanted a glass case delivered 2.5 miles that was already in the delivery truck, they wanted a $75 delivery fee.

That is what I like about this site, helping each other find stuff, fix stuff, store stuff and move stuff, mostly for fun, some are for profit, but without cutting each others throats. If it was cut throat here I wouldn't be passing on leads of Stoner Theater's and other possible deals.

Tim
Jamesweddington

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 05:52:40 pm »

I have contacted a half dozen or so locksmiths and all say they do not do work on vending locks.  I may need to try some others and may come across one that can/will look at it at a fair price.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:57:37 pm »

Well you want the old guy that has been in biz since christ was a corporal.
Not the end of the world to just drill the lock.
Key to keep a restoration moving along is not get tunnel vision on a minor detail.
Once it vends, cools and otherwise works sort the minor stuff.
Has worked for me.
Creighton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: