SMC Discussion Areas
June 01, 2024, 06:23:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a cigarette machine?  (Read 9421 times)
Justin W

« on: June 05, 2012, 04:03:39 pm »

So I picked up this little vending machine at a shop for 10 bucks awhile back.  It's been sitting in the garage for awhile so I decided to have a key made for it to see what it looked like inside.  From the outside it has a lot of plastic parts, but it seemed like old plastic the kind with glitter in it.  And the clear plastic was painted that teal or turquoise color that was popular in the 50's.  It also seemed pretty heavy for a toy.  Today when I opened it up there was a real 25 cent coin mech in it, no plastic here and i could see the vending mechanism more clearly as well.  The machine works off a rotating drum with 2 levers.  One lever rotates the drum to your selection and the other drum dispenses.  The only thing I can think of that could be dispensed out of this machine would be a cigarette.  I don't smoke so I don't have any laying around but my friend who does smoke said today's cigarettes are too long.  Maybe this was before filters?  The vending mech turns a row of circular discs with a notch in it just big enough to grab one cigarette.  I have tried it with some cut off ball point pens and it works fine.  
Didn't bars and clubs way back when have cigarette and cigar girls?  Maybe this was something they wore on their belts,  it does have what looks like belt hooks on the back?
Here are some pictures.  Anyone ever seen one of these?  Or have some pics of what they used to look like?  Any guesses to the age?  This one has wooden block inserts on the side but I wonder if they didn't used to have signs there advertising the cigarettes etc?

BTW it does have some black paint over spray on it that needs to be cleaned off. 

thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:11:33 pm by Justin W » Logged
Justin W

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 04:08:51 pm »

pic 1
Justin W

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 04:09:14 pm »

Justin W

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 04:09:40 pm »

Justin W

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 04:10:08 pm »

Justin W

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 04:10:27 pm »

Justin W

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 04:10:48 pm »

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 04:58:00 pm »

Had to study it a while but I'm guessing this is a small vending machine designed to also dispense napkins. The wooden inserts propably have springs behind them.

Age is confusing, components look to be 40's to 50's but a quarter would have bought you a whole pack of smokes back then.

Would go nicely displayed next to a Swami napkin dispenser.

I can't imagine the cigarette girl with one of these on her belt.  biggrin

Glen
Justin W

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 05:09:18 pm »

I know it generally doesn't mean much but all the patent dates on the coin mech are late 30's.  And those are solid wood inserts.  Nothing behind them but lever mech's. But I could see how maybe napkins were there originally.  It's definitely a strange little thing.  And there are no other markings on it except for a small RM molded into the front plastic piece. 

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 05:25:22 pm »

Looks like a tampon dispenser to me ( or some other pre-packaged/personal hygiene thingy*)

* pardon the technical jargon ... tounge

It's an odd bird to say the least, interesting though.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: