SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 06:50:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not exactly soda related  (Read 5239 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« on: May 02, 2012, 10:05:08 pm »

But it is Coca Cola red and white!  happydrinkers You may have noticed in my signature that my son and I will be riding in a 100 Mile Komen Ride for the Cure in early August.  We did the 60 mile ride last year and I rode a 1975 Raleigh Grand Prix (one that was actually made in Nottingham, UK--GP and Dave!) 10 speed.  It was a great bike in its day but not exactly current technology.  Today, I picked up a nice used 2009 Cervelo S1 Road Bike.  This same model was actually ridden in many of the big races by the pros including the Tour de France.  With the more modern gearing, the lightweight aluminum frame and carbon fiber fork and seat stay, I should be able to get down the road a bit quicker and without as much effort!  Pretty amazing how much road bikes have changed in 34 years!  Half the weight and twice the gears (20 speed)!  I will never sell my Raleigh but it will get retired to shorter recreational rides.

The 100 mile ride will actually be a tune up ride for a 4-day 400 mile ride at the end of August so I figured I should upgrade my equipment.  That ride will start in Lansing, MI and wind its way through western Michigan finishing 4 days later with a ride across the Mackinac Bridge!

Looking forward to some serious training this summer!

drinking Tim drinking
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:19:52 pm »

Not a bad ride Tim!  I have a 2008 Trek 5200 Carbon Fiber.  I have a friend / now much of acquaintance that rides for Garmin / Slipstream. He took 1st in Stage 3 in Tour De France 2010.  ( Tyler Farrar )  We went to same high school and rode, or should I say I tried to chased after him!!!  He was damn good than and that was 12 years ago!

Sounds like a fun ride...

Jared
Roadman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 07:39:22 am »

Very nice  Cervello TIm!

I also remember the Grand Prix,  a couple kids in the neighborhood had those, they were neat, high end for that time.  I remember the seat was very different, sort of contoured, not like the standard seats back then.  I think they were pricey. 
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:01:09 am »

100 miles on that seat? ouch...
I went 1.5 miles with my boys last night..and that was tough...whats the trick?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 10:05:57 am »

100 miles on that seat? ouch...
I went 1.5 miles with my boys last night..and that was tough...whats the trick?

Padded shorts...and a whole lot of practice.   laugh

Seriously - a decent set of bike shorts, AND a well-fitted bike make all the difference.  Find a local bike shop, not a big-box chain place.  You'd be surprised how competitive their pricing is and you get real service from real riders.  The shop where I get my gear has different rides 3-4 nights per week for anyone interested.  Beginners, Ladies, Advanced, etc. 

Being a bit more modest in my 40's than I was in my teens, I have padded compression shorts that snap into a pair of cargo-style shorts like a liner in a bathing suit.  To the casual observer they look just like regular shorts - but my backside knows the difference!

My wife and I are just getting back into riding as well.  We do a lot of "Rail Trail" rides - 8-10 miles, and we are headed for our first 20 miler in a couple of weeks, followed by a 35 mile jaunt in June.

I have a Specialized Sirrus road bike that is a nice entry-level multipurpose bike.  Nothing quite as nice as Tim's bike (mmmmmm...Carbon Fiber!)- but I am not aiming for any Century rides anytime soon.

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Pat Pixley
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 01:55:45 pm »

Nice Bike Tim ,Just wondering where it going in that garage  biggrin I don't remember a whole lot of room in there .
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 02:10:48 pm »

all i can say is i will stick to my Schwinn wit its bananna seat and butterfly  handlebars

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/04/man-sues-bmw-for-persistent-erection-after-bike-ride/1#.T6LXjVLy3Z4

I see a resemblence in seats....be careful!!!!!

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:01:46 pm »

Padded shorts...and a whole lot of practice.   laugh

Seriously - a decent set of bike shorts, AND a well-fitted bike make all the difference.  Find a local bike shop, not a big-box chain place.  I have a Specialized Sirrus road bike that is a nice entry-level multipurpose bike.  Nothing quite as nice as Tim's bike (mmmmmm...Carbon Fiber!)- but I am not aiming for any Century rides anytime soon.

The Cervelo S1 is actually an aluminum frame with carbon fork and seat stay.  The first time I looked at it I would have sworn it was all carbon based on the geometry.  Still ridiculously light and from the reviews performs as good or better than the entry level full carbon frames that cost more.

The padded shorts and the new seats with the depression down the center make a big difference.  biggrin  Last year, I was attempting to ride my old Raleigh with the original seat and I was quite numb after just a short 15 or 20 mile ride.  I switched out to a new seat, nothing high end but a modern design and it made all of the difference in the world.  I will have to put a few miles on that seat to see if I like it but I may end up switching it out.  Need to make a few adjustments to get the bike to a better fit for me.  It came off of a high end Felt Road bike that the guy bought to replace the Cervelo so it is a good seat.  Also need to decide on shoes and clip in pedals.

And Pat, this baby is going down the basement!  don't need it to disappear on a night when my boys forget to close the garage door!

drinking Tim drinking
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 06:03:49 pm »

all i can say is i will stick to my Schwinn wit its bananna seat and butterfly  handlebars

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/04/man-sues-bmw-for-persistent-erection-after-bike-ride/1#.T6LXjVLy3Z4

I see a resemblence in seats....be careful!!!!!

At least if that happened to me, I would stop rolling out of bed in the middle of the night! laugh Cool biggrin

drinking Tim drinking
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 01:53:43 am »

I like the Northwave Shoes. They are made in Italy.  I have had the same pair since 1998.  Pedals; the Look Pedals arent bad there are several different models.  I have had 3 or 4 different sets and could never tell the difference.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: