SMC Discussion Areas
June 04, 2024, 09:47:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Value of Cavaliers; 72s - Two different ones  (Read 4870 times)
flippa
25 Cent Member

« on: April 11, 2012, 01:08:07 pm »

I have been collecting/hoarding soda machines for a few years.  I know that I will never get around to restoring them all, so I have decided to part with a few of them & keep the best one.  I have decided to part with one of my Cavalier 72's.  I have both style doors; one with teh small embossing & one with the large embossing.  They are on opposite sides of the spectrum with regard to their condition.

The smaller script machine has been resprayed (poorly) to all red, but it has absolutely no rust inside or out and the origonal gaskets & wiring is in mint condition.  It cools & vends and is in very decent condition with only one small dent to the left of the bottle door along the edge of the main door.  Although it could use a paint job, it could be used as is after rewiring it.

THe other machine still has it's origonal paint in poor condition and had damage to the coin door & side of the main door where someone tried to pry it open.  The paint MAY cleanup with alot of elbow grease, but it is filthy as it lived in some type of machine shop.  It cools & vends but needs to be completely rewired & have a major restoration.  There is no rot or holes anywhere, but it definitely is a restoration project. 

I have thought of just listing them on Craigslist, but may consider listing them on Ebay for the exposure.  I was wondering what these machines are currently selling for?  I don't want to give them away, but I want to be realistic with what they are worth so they will actually sell.

What have you guys been buying/selling these machines for?
flippa
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 01:14:07 pm »

Please post photos! so here is the second one
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 05:15:53 pm »

What part of the country are you in?

Tim
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:14:26 pm »

I paid 750.00 for mine last July.  Large embossed, not cooling or working.

Jared
flippa
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:18:27 am »

Aw come on, 89 views and not even any wise guy comments like "at least $6000 to $7000 when restored"?  I am located in Boston, MA. 

I am kind of torn as to which machine I want to keep.  As ugly as the white one is, it is still all origonal and untouched.  I do prefer the look of the larger embossing.  I was thinking of cleaning up the exterior, going thru the mechanicals, new gaskets, rewiring and keeping this one for the garage/shop as is.  Kind of like a rat-rod soda machine. 

Or..... I could sell the white one & use the funds to get the face of the red machine repainted back to origonal. 

The third option was to keep both & sell off some of the other ones.  I need to thin out the herd a little.  The Selectivend 83 conversion will never get a restoration, so perhaps I should let it go first.  It really takes up a bunch of space, but it was my first machine and that is the only reason it is still around.  I have a nice origonal Cav 64 C, but again it isn't worth much being a flat top.  I am gonna keep my Ideal 55 slider; it is just a cool little machine. 

I have been looking on Craigslist, but there have not been any that have sold recently in my area.  There is a Cavalier 96 that has been for sale for a long time in similar condition for $1800, which I know is too much for a 96.  That is why it has been for sale for so long.  It seems that anyone on Craigslist selling any Coke machines thinks that they have gold & they are worth a ton.

Ebay always has a bunch of the restored Cav 72 machines for $6999, but I haven't been watching long enough to see what a realistic price is for the unrestored ones.

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:21:52 am »

last two Cav 72s I had, unrestored, complete but needed a full restoration sold for 800 each...
i"ve seen the locally on my CL advertised for 1200 and still there..

not sure if this helps...

but I'd say you should be able to sell them for sure for 800-1000 or sit on them a bit and wait at 1200 +

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Foos

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 10:18:22 am »

72s are multivend aren't they?  Why don't they get as much love as Vendo 81s?
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 10:27:00 am »

Yes they are multi-vend
I like them,  but I guess people like the tombstone style of the v81 more

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 08:37:21 am »

72s are multivend aren't they?  Why don't they get as much love as Vendo 81s?
I'd say the 81 being all mechanical is an attractant as well. .where the 72 even though same vintage, is an electronic vend machine no manual crank handle operation... and some like that better when dealing with a 50's vintage machine? just my thoughts  I sell 81 vs the 72 , 10 to 1

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
flippa
25 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 12:24:09 am »

I'm gonna keep one of them, just have to decide which one.  I have been looking for this machine for a very long time. 

When I had a paper route in the mid 70's, the office had a white Cavalier 72.  Twenty plus years of kids pumping change into it at a newspaper office; it was trashed.   My white one looks slightly better than what I remember that one looking like.  I worked there until I went to college; at least 8 or 9 years.  That old Cavalier machine worked there alot longer than I did.  I went in there just to say hi to the owner and the Coke machine was gone.  He told me it stopped cooling so they threw it in the dumpster.  I was pissed, I wanted that machine since I was 8! 

For that reason I do like the look of the beat-up white one better.  But the red one would probably be an easier of a restoration for me.  I enjoy tinkering around with these things & filling them up with beer at parties.  I don't know what I would be up for doing a full on restoration on one.

There is no need for keeping two of the same machine, unless you are collecting 81's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: