SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 02:51:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Values explained  (Read 3296 times)
Kaleid20
Soda Jerks

« on: April 09, 2012, 01:56:30 am »

I'm new here, and really confused about what the value of most Coke Machines are going for and what this forum says they should go for. From what I'm seeing and this in the ebay\craigslist world, most Vendo 44s go anywhere from $3k - $5k depending on condition. Vendo 39's I see going from $1500 - $4k depending on condition. I'm using these both as examples, because a lot of members here seem to price these about 50% lower then what the sellers out there are asking. I just need some help better understanding that if this is what the majority of people are asking then well isn't that the real market value? Obviously prices are a bit inflated with all the restoration shows on TV currently, but I find it hard to believe you can find a Vendo 44 anywhere that is decent shape for under $2500. Am I missing some underground Coke machine market that exists outside of ebay and craigslist? Any explanations would be appreciated.

Vendo 81D, 56, 44, 23 standard
Westy WE-6, WD-5, WH-5T
Cavalier 51, 72, C-12
Victor C-18
Dr Pepper Vendo 90
Dole Super Dispenser
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:27:39 am »

I think what you need to keep in mind is that people here are generally hardcore collectors of coin op. They have been doing it for years and some have amassed quite a collection.
They are not going to pay the sort of money asked on auction sites etc for a machine because for them its not a one off buy.

If you are looking for one machine and that's where you are going to stop (experience tells me that you won't) then eBay or Craigslist may be the way to go.

For the collectors and restorers this isn't generally an option so they will bide their time, speak with connections they have made over the years, sniff out a good deal and be happy in
the knowledge that they have got it for the best possible price. Afterall they may decide that a few weeks or months down the road they are going to flip it and try and make a few bucks
on the deal.

Networking takes time and patience. Whilst everyone here is as friendly as they can be and are genuinelly egar to help you they are unlikely to give away hard earned and well walked secrets.

If I were you I would start looking in the local newspaper ads, perhaps run an add yourself asking for coke machines soda machines whatever term you use in your part of the world.
Let everyone know what you are after. Friends and family etc. I have friends and family actively hunting old abandoned vending machines on walls of buildings all over the place for me. A few have turned up right under my nose.

Barnyard sales etc. Get out and be pro-active. Don't wait for it to come to you. Are you looking to restore or are you looking to buy restored. If its the second then you are going to have to pay sky high prices for the work that someone else has done.

Its the same in every field of collecting. Patience is the key and the hard owrk of constantly checking.

Good luck in your endevour.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:28:01 am »

Keep in mind if you are using Craigslist and Ebay as indicators of value.. that is the first mistake... the high prices people are asking are merely "Asking" prices... those are not actual "Sale" prices.. so you can't really use that as a basis..

Value is in the eye of the beholder.. but true value is in what a seller and buyer will agree upon.. and will vary... if I want something bad enough and am not willing to wait it out or hunt for it .. I might pay more for something if I have it in front of me.. or if I feel like passing it up for a better deal, that is the gamble you take and you may or may not find a better deal...

to answer your questions on those two machines.. Vendo 44s unrestored run around 1300-1600 , Vendo 39's unrestored 750-1000 and again all depend on condition and completeness... and also a super nice original unrestored that is displayable as is, will generally be worth more.. so lots of variables..

the FUN of it all is learning all this stuff and with time, you will.

Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Kaleid20
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:04:28 am »

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I do a lot of buying & selling on ebay, but I can say I will probably never purchase a Vendo or any other vending machine through this site. Craigslist seems to be a bit more reasonable, but still high. You're dead on when you say, it comes down to what your willing to pay and if you want it now or can you wait. My only other experiences here locally were at antique shops, one had a beat up Vendo 110 for $1300, and the other had a unrestored but complete and displayable Vendo 39 for $2100. These still seemed high to me, yet were out of that ebay\craigslist arena. I feel like most sellers use that as a gauge anyhow.

But to your point, you want a good deal, you gotta look hard for it. Understood.

Vendo 81D, 56, 44, 23 standard
Westy WE-6, WD-5, WH-5T
Cavalier 51, 72, C-12
Victor C-18
Dr Pepper Vendo 90
Dole Super Dispenser
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:40:14 pm »

The real key is patience and knowledge.  Those are actually in reverse order, arm yourself with some knowledge then be patient in your search.  This site has a vast amount of information and insight.  Use it to research the models you are interested in then you can search with confidence.  I have been a member here for a couple of years and read  most all the posts and consistantly look up info in old posts.  I still consider myself to be a newbie even though I am getting ready to tackle my third machine.  Most people want to buy a machine that is ready to plug in and use.  If that is what you want as well, then you will pay a premium.  While there are occasional bargains that pop up, many of the people on this site are looking for machines that they can buy reasonably and bring back to life.  And quite honestly, putting the time and effort into the machine is what truely makes it yours.  I picked  up a Vendo 39 for $550 recently that was 90% complete - not ready to dispaly yet, but not far from it.  So start reading, looking at photos, and trolling through Craigslist.  You'll have more machines than your spouse can stand in no time.  Good luck and welcome to SMC!!

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Matt
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 07:47:09 pm »

If you want a machine that is restored from the ground up then that's when you really have to shell out the money. When you buy a restored machine, you're paying for the parts, labor, and knowledge of the restorer. A restoration job can run thousands of dollars (not including the cost of the non-restored machine).

Vendo 81A
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: