SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 11:29:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new obsession...  (Read 5305 times)
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« on: April 06, 2012, 01:47:23 pm »

Sorry folks, this post is long - but I feel the need to share my experience with all of you who care to spend the time reading my story.

I bought a Cavalier CS-96e recently as my first machine.  It is the earliest style Coke machine that I recall using as a child (I am in my early 40s) and I thought that seems as good a reason as any.  Who can apply logic to a hobby?

About 2-3 weeks ago my wife mentioned that she would like a smaller 'chest style' coke machine, to go with the CS-96e.  That was all I needed to hear... GAME ON!   I had originally started out looking for a "spin top" and was not familiar with the "slider" model.  Yes, I am a newbie at the Coke machine hobby.  After some research I decided that a "slider" would be a lot more versatile.  I like a variety of beverages in my machine.

I recently ran across a board member here that goes by the handle "Slider Bob".   I am sure many of you already know him better than I.   Bob had posted in another thread that I was reading and mentioned that he had a couple of sliders that might be available.  I shot a PM to Bob to inquire as to what sliders he may have available.  He mentioned a pair of possibilities, including a rare embossed Coca Cola Ideal 55 Slider that was complete would need a full restoration.  After trading some pictures back and forth, I thought I would give Bob a quick call to discuss them.  Heck, he goes by "Slider Bob" he should know them...right?

Well folks, I spent the better part of a half hour on the phone with Bob, who didn't know me from Adam.  I truly believe he had no idea as to whether I was really interested in buying a machine or just wanted more information, but he was as friendly and open with his ideas and opinions as if we had known each other for 10 years.  It is so nice to run across people who are willing to take their time and educate others on a subject.  One of my other hobbies is restoring British cars (Triumph Spitfires) and I like to think I do the same thing for LBC "newbies".  It's nice to know I'm not alone.

The more we spoke, the more I realized how much I wanted that embossed slider!  After Bob sent me a picture of a restored model, I was hooked!  Bob mentioned a gentleman named Pat Pixley had the machine in his possession (I know you all know Pat - he is a moderator here) and was preparing to restore it for him.   So - I went for it.  I bought the machine from Bob.   After wrapping up our transaction, Bob introduced me to Pat.  After speaking with Pat for another good 30-40 minutes (y'all in the midwest sure are a friendly lot!) last night, trading some restoration anectdotes and techniques and seeing some pictures, I was convinced that Pat was the right guy for the job.   So, what is now MY machine is currently in Pat's queue to be restored.

I am so thrilled and excited to be getting such a beautiful machine from such a great guy and to have it restored by another really great guy is icing on the proverbial cake.

For those of you interested - here is a picture of my new acquisition in its current state.  I can't wait to get it home and show off some before/after pictures!

-Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 04:30:39 pm »

Jim...It was great talking with you, and I'm sure you will absolutely love your Coca Cola slider when Pat gets done with it!  You're a very personable guy, and I'm glad we could work something out. Oh, and it's great that your wife LOVES the slider too!  Always a bonus!

You are now officially hooked on soda machines, and you will keep buying and buying and buying.  This is a great site with many people far more knowledgeable on the hobby than I am. Its cool we share info, run ideas past each other, and show everyone the goodies that find their way home with us, each and every day!  Welcome to the site, and keep on restoring!!!

A special thanks goes out to Tim "Mznb1u" for originally finding this treasure for me and going to PA with me to get it.  I'm glad it will be going back home to PA where you live and will enjoy it for years to come!

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 05:06:27 pm »

I will also vouch for Bob and Pat. The  machine will come back  looking beyond awesome, having seen Pat's work, and Bob is a swell guy.

I think, naw, I KNOW you will/was/will be treated fairly by Both

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
flippa
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:18:09 pm »

Damn soda machines are like potato chips; you can't just have one.

You will love the slider, it is a cool little machine. I am down to one (and a half). 

I have been looking around for another slider to put my spare rack & coin mech on.   I'm going to check out an embossed Pepsi in a few weeks when I get out to my Inlaws.  I need some blue in my collection
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 05:37:22 pm »

I will also vouch for Bob and Pat. The  machine will come back  looking beyond awesome, having seen Pat's work, and Bob is a swell guy.

I think, naw, I KNOW you will/was/will be treated fairly by Both

Yeah but that Tim guy--well he is a piece of work!  Thanks Kilroy!  biggrin Cool laugh

Glad I could put Bob on the slider and help him pick it up.  We picked it up about a couple of miles from where my wife grew up so I knew the area like the back of my hand!  And I can also vouch for Pat's work Jim!  He won't be happy unless you are happy!  Your machine is in good hands among the Michigan Mafia!

drinking Tim drinking
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:06:30 pm »

Thanks guys - its nice to have validation that my new toy is in good hands.  Chatting with Pat for about a half hour told me just about everything I needed to know.  I'm a newb with Coke machines, but I've done plenty of restoring of rusty old parts and Pat and I share the same philosophies and preferences.   We would both rather do it right the first time than have to do it again.

Someone is going to have to clue me in on the Michigan Mafia.  What's with all the collectors in  that particular area?  Is there a historical reason or is it just a geographic anomaly?

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 08:14:06 pm »

Cool  We aren't allowed to discuss it., but our proximity to Canada isn't a coincidence...

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 08:25:23 pm »

Cool  We aren't allowed to discuss it., but our proximity to Canada isn't a coincidence...

Oh...so it's sort of like Fight Club....oh...wait...ummm....could you forget I said that?     oops

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 08:42:38 pm »

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, consider this justice a gift on my daughter's wedding day.

drinking Tim drinking
Pat Pixley
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 09:54:23 pm »

Jim it was a pleasure to talk to you last night , I really did enjoy hearing about your Spitfire  ( you will need to post a picture of it ) and sharing stories .
This will be a cool machine to do .  can wait to get started. smile
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:12:01 pm by Pat Pixley » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: