SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 12:48:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fluorescent light switch for 81D  (Read 10731 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 02:44:54 pm »

This is good to know and would be great if someone could provide a wiring diagram on how to do this and avoid the issue of running out of vintage parts ..

Thanks
John

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 03:35:03 pm »

John:
I have the ballest and two wire switches. I am working on testing everything and doing a wiring diagram. I'll talk to you at the show more about it.

Rod
Fun-Tronics
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 12:37:24 am »

Here was a previous thread on wiring the ballasts that has some nice diagrams.  In addition to not being able to find the old 4 wire switches, are the older style 2 wire ballasts still available?  I looked for quite a while before finally just going with a rapid start ballast wired like JonnieGs second diagram in the attached thread.  For those who restore professionally, is the ballast and switch items that you feel need to retain originality or do you feel that the intent is satisfied as long as there is a switch in place for the end user and the light comes on when it is flipped.  I would be satisfied with the functionality, especially if it allowed me to use a lower cost and easily accessible basic switch and a standard ballast.  However, if a customer is paying for a full restoration do you think they expect those components to match original specs?

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 06:26:44 am »

Gas pump resotre sites  carry  the two wire switches, $7.50 last time I ordered them

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 08:19:24 am »

to answer the question about originallity,, I don't think the type of switch used (be it a 2 wire or 4 wire) matters in the originallity of the machine. as long as appearance is the same, I'd say it's fine replacment..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: