SMC Discussion Areas
June 01, 2024, 05:54:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zinc Plating vs. Powder Coating vs. Polishing  (Read 4586 times)
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« on: March 14, 2012, 06:55:55 pm »

I am a newbie and am working on my first restoration (Vendo56 Square Top)  and need some advice.  I know this may just be a preference, but I was wondering what people do to restore/clean up the internal parts to the coin door (Cap catcher, Coin box...etc)?  I would also ask this in reference to the condensation pan and the line cover (covers the lines coming from the compressor to the inside of the cabinet).  Do you recommend zinc plating over powder coating or just go with polishing?  I have heard that Powder Coating these parts could be an issue if any of these are a tight fix as Powder Coating would add a little thickness to them.  Thanks in advance.
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:57:26 pm »

I have had to sand down powder coated parts in order to get them to fit. I think the coin box could be an issue but the cap catcher might not be. The tighter the parts are now during assembly the harder they will be to go together after powder coating.

And I like zinc when possible.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:04:23 pm »

>>Cap catcher, Coin box...etc)?  condensation pan and the line cover

Except for the line cover think all of the parts were glavinized. On a ST 56 I'd just prep the parts well and spray with Hammertone. Not worth the money to powder coat. They are just steel so polishing would be a lot of work and very prone to rust. Too lazy to walk to the shop and check but think the line cover is chromed. Hope of some help.
Creighton

SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:01:26 pm »

Thanks guys, this helps.

Creighton,

That is a good thought about the hammertone paint.  Besides just cleaning the parts up, do you have to prime before painting?   In regards to the line cover I don't think mine is chrome or at least if it is it needs rechroming  biggrin
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:00:38 pm »

Re-Chroming is very expensive!!

Decide exactly what you are going to use the machine for before dumping a bunch of money into it. 

I have some regrets on some of the extra money I spent on my first one.  If it's going inside to be used or show pieces that do it up right.  If it's going into the garage, than maybe hammertone is the most thrifty way!   drinking
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 08:56:54 am »

Like what has been said already, but to answer your hammertone question, if applying to clean metal , you should not have to prime for hammertone.. jsut make sure you have good clean , grease free surface and it works very well...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:22:46 am »

Signguy,

Thanks. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: