SMC Discussion Areas
April 19, 2024, 07:47:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swap O Matic Vending Machine  (Read 1595 times)
shale

« on: January 22, 2012, 12:26:00 am »

I just found this 'barter vending machine' on MSNBC and thought it was interesting! Supposedly, the idea is to use a barter system to exchange the things you don't want and get other peoples donated items in return. I definitely want to try one of these if the idea picks up! smile

http://gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/20/10202145-swap-o-matic-vending-machine-based-on-the-barter-economy

Cornelius Compact 50
Ideal 55 Slider
Westinghouse Standard (Early)
Westinghouse Standard (Late)
Westinghouse WE-6
Vendo Six Case
Glasco GBV-50
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:26:03 am »

Interesting yes, as it is has an inherent design flaw due to the very fact of human nature, no one will willingly trade any item for any other item unless the the desired item is of a higher value ( real or perceived) than the one they are trading for it.   glare

Please, This a smelly pile of utopian carp* (*sorry, I'm dyslexic) so, who's going to pay for the electricity to run this modern marvel?  tounge, I'm assuming that someone obtained a grant ( IE: a sucker) to pay for this art concept.

Now consider the last paragraph in the "report" ...

"The Swap-o-Matic is admittedly more of an art project, but it’s in the same spirit. And while it may not “save the Earth” (we’ll need cap-and-trade for that), it may get people thinking about their consumption habits in a helpful way."  

But hey, it's in New York, so have at it. & have a go at the three-card Monte tables while your in town too. it would prove interesting to see how long it takes for someone to donate some Solyndra stock.

my two cents anyway...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 07:29:08 am by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: