SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 08:47:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Appraisals  (Read 5307 times)
cola62
Soda Jerks

« on: January 20, 2012, 09:04:49 am »

Do you guys use any on line websites for appraisals of antiques?  Whenever I research an item (lets say a clock or a sign) It usually sends me to the Worth Point website.  This is a monthly fee site that is kind of expensive unless you use it all the time.  I was just wondering what sources you use other than books.

Greg
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 10:06:10 am »

I think that the experience of the guys here on the site is better than other online facilities. The sort of price you get here is
what the item is generally worth based on what has been sold in recent times. Better than out of date books etc.

Experience here is quite broad too. Gas and oil vending machines signs etc.. I wouldn't go anywhere else personally.

We are very lucky. Lots of other forum type sites don't offer this sort of service or if they do its usually within the inner sanctum.

bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 10:20:13 am »

We use Rick Dale for most of our appraisals.  All items are worth  "between 6 and 7 thousand " dollars restored

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 11:01:31 am »

I agree there is more collective knowledge on this site than anywhere else.  I was mostly referring to a site that shows what a specific item sold for recently.  I know ebay can be used for this somewhat, but a lot of the asking prices are unrealistic.  I have run across a lot of items lately at auctions and various shops and it is nice to be able to put a value on something before deciding  whether or not to buy.  As we all know value is only as good as what someone is willing to pay for an item. Worthpoint seems to have a huge data base of items that have sold.  I just dont like paying for something if there is another site out there thats free.

Greg
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 11:15:59 am »

So as a test, what would you guys say my sign is worth?

http://soda-machines.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=66&g2_itemId=539

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 11:51:00 am »

We use Rick Dale for most of our appraisals.  All items are worth  "between 6 and 7 thousand " dollars restored

Sorry I don't have input, but this just had me rolling on the floor  biggrin

Glen
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 12:12:21 pm »

Very cool sign.  Would have appeal to both the gas and oil crowd and Disney collectors which should make it worth more I would think.  Not that knowledgable on gas and oil stuff--have you check Big Cheese's sight http://www.oldgas.com/

drinking Tim drinking
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:38:04 pm »

Great sign and great example,
If I found that sign available at an auction, it would be nice to know if one sold in the recent past (say last five years) and what it went for. Maybe too much to ask for but it sure would be helpful. 

Ok, just did some research on your sign.  How about a guess appraisal of $3500.00.  (Assuming its original, and it looks like it is.)  I found one that went for that listed on the net. Unfortunately it isn't always that easy to find what I am looking for.  Congrats, on a great sign anyway.

Greg
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 02:03:17 pm »

You are close Greg!
I saw two last year on eBay that sold for close to $4000 each. Both were in worse shape than mine. Mine is original and is in excellent shape with only a few little scratches/chips around the 2nd "O" in "Knockout".

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 02:07:40 pm »

Yeah thats a rare one Tom,, saw one on auction for 3800 a few years back, similar condition...

Regarding the whole general question,, I too rely just on experience and other collectors, but also get my opionions from what i see at shows, auctions and places where actual Dollars exchange hands... anyone can say yeah it's worth 2500... but are they willing to hand over the 25 benjamins for it..... so worth and actual cash price can vary quite a bit..

we've all gotten burned on stuff , so it's a lot of trial and error, but with sites like this with so many knowledgable people it makes it easier..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: