SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 03:52:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam powered tonka truck  (Read 84341 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2012, 03:31:19 am »

I think just that whole boiler, firebox and bed assembly of the steam pickup truck weighs about as much as the entire truck did before I started. laugh Now to drill a hole in the back of the cab for the steam line to pass through and then all the truck will need is the engine finished up and the frame repainted and I can put it all back together.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2012, 06:30:15 am »

Can't wait to see it run!

drinking Tim drinking
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2012, 04:12:56 pm »

Can't wait to see it run!

drinking Tim drinking

I can't wait either. It is funny that for the first time since I started going to school I actually don't want to be on break right now and want to be back in class so I can be machining some more stuff. I absolutly love doing this stuff!  I need to get my own lathe at home biggrin

Also anyone have any ideas for building a heat shield for the back window of the truck? After looking at the boiler placement I am a little worried that the heat might melt the back window.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2012, 05:00:53 pm »

Here are a few pictures of the boiler installed in the back of the truck bed. Still have not riveted it to the bed since I need to put a rivet into the bottom of the bed to secure it to the frame and I can only do that when the boiler is not in since the rivet gun won't fit if the boiler is in there. Also the reason the boiler strap is off on the left side is because the pop rivet would not clear the boiler if i bent it in any closer so other than that little problem the rest looks pretty good. Still got to sand the front of the firebox a little bit to remove some scratches and then hit it with some never dull.

Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2012, 06:53:27 pm »

Looking great! I'd just remove the rear window. Heat sink from an old computer might work but would look strange.
Creighton

scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2012, 12:43:11 am »

I was thinking about doing that. Might also be able to just put a piece of brass or something behind it just so there is something between the window and the back of the boiler. It's kind of fun restoring these old tonka trucks. I think for my next one I will work on my tonka dump truck and backhoe that I have had since I was really young. Kind of feel I need to restore those since they have been through everything and were outside for maybe 10 or so years and refused to die and I think that if I could make that jeep look as nice as it does now I can get my truck looking close to new again. Just need to find some of the tracks for the backhoe though since those got lost years ago. Would also be cool to get some decals made to replace the ones that used to be on there.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:48:33 am by scalebowler » Logged
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2012, 08:25:01 am »

Also anyone have any ideas for building a heat shield for the back window of the truck? After looking at the boiler placement I am a little worried that the heat might melt the back window.

You could replace the window with a piece of mica like they used in the antique wood burning stoves.  This place has it and it is not as expensive as I thought it would be.

http://www.antiquestoves.com/mica/index.htm

Not sure how thick that window is compared to the thicknesses of the mica available on this site, you might have to double it up to get the proper thickness or modify the slot that holds the plastic window.  I have never worked with mica so I don't know if it would be easy to cut to the correct size.  It would solve the plastic melting issue though.

The other option would be glass like they use in fireplace doors.  I think that would withstand the heat of the boiler but again, you might run into an issue getting the proper thickness.  Those are a couple of ideas that would probably work though.

drinking Tim drinking
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2012, 06:53:57 pm »

Was thinking a little bit about this project and I think it would be cool if I made a small plate with the year and my name or something like that kind of like on a trophy. I will have to ask my teacher but I think we could engrave something like that on the CNC mill at school. Or if I want to go a little more elaborate I could build my model metal stamping press and make a die that would stamp all that into a piece of metal. (just another thing I want to make biggrin)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:59:33 pm by scalebowler » Logged
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2012, 06:57:52 pm »

You could replace the window with a piece of mica like they used in the antique wood burning stoves.  This place has it and it is not as expensive as I thought it would be.

http://www.antiquestoves.com/mica/index.htm

Not sure how thick that window is compared to the thicknesses of the mica available on this site, you might have to double it up to get the proper thickness or modify the slot that holds the plastic window.  I have never worked with mica so I don't know if it would be easy to cut to the correct size.  It would solve the plastic melting issue though.

The other option would be glass like they use in fireplace doors.  I think that would withstand the heat of the boiler but again, you might run into an issue getting the proper thickness.  Those are a couple of ideas that would probably work though.

drinking Tim drinking

I might try finding a piece of glass for the back window. Thanks for the idea! Would a glass shop be a good place to look since I only would need a small scrap.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2012, 09:50:52 pm »

Found this site a while back...

http://www.toydecals.com/

might have something you could use as far as decals go.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: