SMC Discussion Areas
June 17, 2024, 02:15:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam powered tonka truck  (Read 83837 times)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 01:25:03 am »

.....I also learned that I don't really care for the sound of a Dremel tool cutting through and grinding sheet metal....

My kids run from the shop covering their ears when I do that!!  laugh

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012, 01:27:17 am »

My kids run from the shop covering their ears when I do that!!  laugh

Haha sounds like me when I was 4 or 5 years old when ever my dad used the table saw  laugh
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 03:36:04 pm »

I got the OK to make some engine parts in class! Now I just need to see about finding some brass before class or maybe just figure out what parts can be made from steel and make those tomorrow and save the cylinder and piston for next time.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2012, 04:53:22 pm »

Also one question. Does anyone know if you can order things online from MSC and pick them up at the branch office like graingers Will Call option? I need to order some stuff from them for this project and was wondering.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 03:38:39 pm »

Got to make a few parts today in class. My instructor thinks it is a really neat project and is really excited to see it done and running around. Today all I made was a flywheel (almost done just got to drill and tap the hole for the set screw) and the crankshaft (just got to press fit the parts onto each other and that will be done) I also drilled out and reamed the center of some of the pulleys and made them go from a 4mm diameter hole to something that will fit onto the actual crankshaft. I also picked up a piece of brass keystock from grainger today and will make the body and cylinder out of that. Now just need a piece of brass rod for the piston and maybe the threaded stud that holds the parts together. I think I can get these parts done next class or the class after that. Now just got to order some steam engine oil and a steam line.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2012, 05:37:45 pm »

I can see the instuctor's point of view. Very educational!

Glen
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2012, 03:16:19 pm »

Here are some pictures of the parts I made yesterday. The crankshaft is pretty much done except that it is in pieces and the flywheel is done except I need to drill and tap a hole for the set screw that holds it on. (also got to enlarge the hole since I really don't want to press fit it on the crankshaft incase I ever need to take the engine appart) Only problem I have right now is that I made the flywheel about .005" too thin. Don't think that matters too much but it still bugs me.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:53:13 am by scalebowler » Logged
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2012, 03:37:27 pm »

Looking good. Doubt the .005" matters on this application. Could be catastrophic on a jet engine.
Less flywheel weight may get you a bit more top speed.

Are you going to put on a RC steering chasis or attach to a wire?

Creighton

scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2012, 03:48:55 pm »

Looking good. Doubt the .005" matters on this application. Could be catastrophic on a jet engine.
Less flywheel weight may get you a bit more top speed.

Are you going to put on a RC steering chasis or attach to a wire?

Creighton

Thanks! I actually plan to attach the drive axle to the bottom of the engine and then mount the entire thing at about a 5 to 15 degree angle so that it will drive in circles untill the fuel runs out. I do like the RC idea but this thing is so small that I am running out of room inside. Maybe if this project works out I can one day make a larger one and make that RC. I am thinking about either finding or making a small trailer with a screw in the center that I can attach a digital camera to and maybe make a video of the camera riding on the trailer.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2012, 03:56:27 pm »

I'll email you the link. There are some great tiny camera's that write to the attached flash drives. Used on RC planes/helicopters/rockets.
It would mount to the truck roof easy.
Creighton
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: