SMC Discussion Areas
June 30, 2024, 07:11:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Found a Westinghouse WB-78-66-  (Read 10533 times)
jbachman2
5 Cent Member

« on: December 04, 2011, 09:05:05 pm »

I was able to find a Westinghouse WB-78-66-D this weekend here in Houston area.  While it’s not the Select-O-Matic I was originally looking for, I was impressed by its lack of dents and rust and it also cooled well and ran quiet, the only problem of course is that it didn’t vend.  After messing around with it this afternoon I think we (with the help of my neighbor) were able to find the problem. 

We made a Free Vend Switch because we weren’t sure if it was the coin mech that was the problem, we also started checking the connections for any faults.  Long story short, it looks like one of the relays, located in the box to the left of the cap catcher, is out.  With the Free Vend on, and a selection button pushed, I manually connected the top relay and this got the machine to vend!  I was so happy to see the motors inside the machine function.  What we weren’t quite able to determine, was what the lower relay did, but it was making its connection on its own.  So what I need to know is, where can I order one of these relays.  I have attached a picture of what I am referring to.

Also, I would like to turn this into a working machine in my office and I can’t sell soda’s for 10 cents.  The Coinco vending mech I believe is only able to be modified from 5 to 25 cents, I think it’s an older version because I couldn’t find any dip switches on it.  Are there any coin mechs out there that are compatible with this machine that take quarters?  I guess dimes would be okay, but I think I’d irk my co-workers if they had to put 10 nickels in to get a Coke.

My Machines:

Ideal 55 Slider
Westinghouse WB-78-66-D
jbachman2
5 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:06:02 pm »

Images Attached.

My Machines:

Ideal 55 Slider
Westinghouse WB-78-66-D
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 09:19:00 pm »

Nice looking machine!, this is the fully automatic successor to the select-a-matic (with the manual drink selector knob) the relay in question is the credit relay, it "holds" the credit pulse from the coinmech (once the vending price is reached)  that would normally come out on pin #3 & hold itself in until a drink/flavor selection button is pushed, then it will release itself once the "vend" switch on the bottle carrier resets it. FYI...while it ( the credit-relay) is "latched" & "holding" a credit, the coinmech will reject all coins. 

It's a fairly common relay in many earlier machines, but just about any 120 volt DPDT relay will do (DPDT= double pole/double throw) if you look at the wiring schematic, you'll be able to see layout of the relay itself & maybe get a replacement from the local radio shack or other electronic supply house near you.

insofar as the coinmech goes, any 120 volt CoinCo 9800 A or B series will work in this machine. or a nice 120 volt single price MARS MDF series coinmech with the 8-pin Jones plug on it too.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
jbachman2
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:15:00 pm »

Okay, I see both the COINCO S75-9800B and the Mars TRC 6800H out there on ebay.  The listing for the Mars says " This mech will fit virtually all single price 115 volt drink machines with the large 8 pin Jones plug.  The plug has 8 large flat pins and one round locator pin for a total of 9 pins."  So it seems both are compatible, does anyone have a recommendation?  I saw in the manual that the Coinco 9800B will take quarters too but I do find it odd that the Coinco doesn't have a quarter holder.

My Machines:

Ideal 55 Slider
Westinghouse WB-78-66-D
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:15:54 pm »

If by a "Quarter-holder" you mean to say a dedicated change tube for Quarters, then no, the 9800 series doesn't have one, it has two nickle change tubes, so if you have your heart set on giving quarters out in change, then I'd go with the MARS coinmech.

Mars...Pros: Gives change back in 5-10-25 cent denominations.
                  Usually accepts ( programmable) $1.00 coins & Tokens, also will (if desired) to accept Canadian 
                   coinage. Can be programed to set vending price as high as $3.65 ( depends on model/version) &   
                   escrow. ( hold the coins until a selection is made, if the coin return is pushed, it will return the
                   full vending price in change.
          Cons: It has an electronic "slug rejector" / coin acceptor, if it screws up, the mech is typically trash. 
                   if the electronic slug-rejector is accidentally unplugged with the power "on" it will "forget"
                    it's programed acceptable "coins"

Coinco: Pros: designed original made for the machines era, simple mechanical slug rejector. relatively easy
                   (for me anyway) to repair & clean.
           Cons: price limited to $1.35 ($3.65 on the last version of the "B" model made in 1990)
                    simple & easy to screw itself up mechanical slug-rejector. gives change back only in nickels.

(FYI...A Coinco 9700 series will give change with both nickels & dimes)

11 is louder than 10...
jbachman2
5 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:52:24 pm »

I was thinking about using this relay in the machine http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Magnetic-Relay-6AZU0?Pid=search  would this work?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:37:55 pm by johnieG » Logged

My Machines:

Ideal 55 Slider
Westinghouse WB-78-66-D
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 04:38:48 pm »

A bit of overkill on the ratings, but it should do nicely if it fit's inside your housing. I'd remind you to test the coil of the old one (relay) with an Ohm meter & make sure it's really bad ( open-circuit) before the spending money. ( just trying to be prudent)   oops
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:40:59 pm by johnieG » Logged

11 is louder than 10...
jbachman2
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 11:23:01 am »

Okay, the new relay is in and I now have a working Westinghouse WB-78!  I finished polishing out the machine on Sunday while I was watching football and it is starting to look really good for an unrestored machine.

I have put the parts and service manuals on my Christmas list but if anyone could offer some pointers on opening up the area where the flavor strips go and how to remove the glass coca cola logo I would appreciate it.  The plexiglass has small cracks in it so it needs to be replaced and the frame around the glass has come down about an 1/8th  of an inch from the top of the machine so I want to remove it and see if I can reseat it. 

My Machines:

Ideal 55 Slider
Westinghouse WB-78-66-D
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 11:55:27 am »

The Selection Panel will flip up once you pull a clip down. You can access the flavor labels, but a few of the slots are a little awkward. Easiest is to remove the four screws (I think) that secure the hinges to the main door. Once the Selection Panel is either removed or flipped up, you can easily see the two bolts that secure the marquee frame. Remove them and then gently pry the bottom of the frame out. Pull it out and down - two studs stick up into the top.
Good luck!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 12:18:12 am »

nice score, clean machine!

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: