SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 06:46:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Correcting Sellers...???  (Read 5134 times)
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« on: November 13, 2011, 11:02:00 am »

Here's an ethical question for you guys.  Many times I have seen ads posted on craigslist of an item that the person is trying to sell and they are calling it something it's not.  I came across a pretty cool picnic cooler for Pepsi-cola last night that was aluminum, ribbed/embossed, with the single dot logo.  Really nice condition.  The first couple listings said it was a 1940s cooler and was really rare, etc.  Obviously, unless I am totally mistaken, the single dot logo dates this thing to the 1950s at earliest 1949, as the double dot was stopped in 1948...right?  Later, they reposted saying it was a 1930s cooler!!!  Either way, this just brought me to the question....should I correct this person or let them figure it out on their own?  I realize a true collector of these things would obviously know what it was, whether I was right or wrong, and would know if the asking price was worth it or not, regardless of what the person said it was.  So I'm just curious, what do you guys think, would it be ethical or rude to correct a seller on such items?  Naturally, you'd have to make darn sure you were correct with your correction and even provide references for their education.  Just wondering your thoughts.  Thanks.

Ken

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 11:09:16 am »

Generally people are "bigging" up their item and don't take kindly to a piece of advice.. Well that's my experience.
If someone really doesn't know what they have they sometimes asking for informationand post it when they get it.

I wasted far too much time trying to point out this and that and got more abuse than I care to remember.

BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 11:33:30 am »

I replied once to a guy who had a Vendo 39 for sale, and he stated that it was VERY RARE and hard to come by etc...
I truly was interested in the machine, but when I replied with a " it's not as rare a machine as you may think" etc... I got BLASTED by him, and was accused of being a picker looking for a good deal blah blah blah

So, I stay away from correcting peoples ads...   Everyone thinks their child is the smartest... who's gonna tell them otherwise?! lol

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:46:46 am »

It's a two way street. There are more tools available to day for the buyer, or potential buyer to know how accurate the description is. Likewise,  it's not difficult to search for information on an item you're selling.

That said, I agree with Dave, I've stopped correcting people, you get more no responses, or shredded than an honest thank you and a correction. Heck, I've been  blocked  by one seller on Ebay  after telling him his mid 60's jukebox was not that rare, desirable, and  a new cord prolly wouldn't fix the issue of the mech not powering up.

Feel free to correct them, but make sure you are wearing your asbestos skivvies if you do.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 05:30:44 pm »

Have to agree with Dave and Kilroy!  I would say that 99% of the time I have pointed out an error in a listing, I have been shredded or ignored.  There have been a few that have thanked me but that is very rare.  In general, there is no point in addressing the sellers with Resto Rick/Pickers/Pawn Stars goggles on!  Case in point, a guy had a Victor C-45 non-embossed cooler listed on CL with no price.  It was located in a small town bar in the tip of the thumb of Michigan--not a real convenient place to get to.  I communicated with the seller through email and they sent me pictures.  When I asked about price they indicated $800.  It was in good shape and cooling so I took the time to arrange a customer visit in the area and drove over to see it.  After looking at it, I asked the seller again what he wanted and he said $8,000!!!  As nicely as I could, I told him that the cooler was just not that rare and in it's current condition it was worth maybe $1,000 on its best day and that even if it was brand new in the box it would not bring $8,000.  He didn't want to hear it and claimed he had a guy who offerred him $4,000 and he turned him down!  I told him if he really had that offer he better grab it before the guy researched the machine.  He was convinced he had a chunk of gold!  I eventually got my embossed C-45 in comparable shape and a far better price thanks to Josh and Brian.

Anyway, I have gotten some of my best deals on machines that were not properly listed.  Both of my Stoner Theaters, early model with the clamshell front and the later model that most people would recognize, were listed as "old candy machine" and I got good deals on both as a result.

drinking Tim drinking
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 05:54:27 pm »

Good topic.
eBay sellers are on their own and so are the buyers.

Local CL different, have met some nice folks.
Go to get one thing and come home with 3 items better than the first...

Creighton
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 09:30:43 pm »

Ya, I run across wrong information all the time in EBay listings, I sometimes contact the seller & polity point out such things like Vendo 39's aren't "rare" , Vendo V83's are in fact the '59 Edsel of the soda machine world an aren't worth $3K even when fully restored, & my favorite is don't be a douche & brag about how your restorations are top-notch & everyone else's are "amateur" when I see white plastic tie-wraps all over the freaking wire harnesses, & condenser fan-motors painted silver, and a 1990's coinmech is sitting a 1950's Cavalier.  tounge and sometimes I ride their listings like a pony & ask a bunch of questions like, so if it only needs a "little freon", why don't you put some in it & sell it as "working" Huh?  too much fun!

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 12:12:03 pm »

It's difficult to say the least. I just don't respond to these ads as i don't have the time to deal with people like that.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 01:20:23 pm »

It's a two way street thought. i've never corrected a seller when their asking price was below market value Smiley

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 09:20:45 pm »

So true...I've never corrected a seller who's asking price was below market value either.

Well put!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: