SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 02:18:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic Soda Machine Reference Book  (Read 29532 times)
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2011, 02:40:13 pm »

So this can't be kept as a file or something on this site? Somewhere there is a company that can print books
one-at-a-time. I know that I have seen info on that I just don't know the name of the company.
It just seems like everyone here can contribute a page with the ability to add additional photos of different brands of each model. Change average value as it occurs or quarterly. Then if we want, print it off or have a copy hard printed.
Just a thought.
Terry
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2011, 06:09:56 pm »

I'm not sure what, if any, copyrights have been breached as the material has been re-organized and now being re-distributed with monetary gains...
We can include the file/document in the Downloads Section ay SMC; however, I would be a little hesitant due to possible repercussions...
When I saw the Site posted and visited, I was tempted to do this very thing, but began to think of possible legal issues...

My six cents,

Jim

Pat Pixley
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2011, 07:19:38 pm »

I like the idea of someone working on a new book and getting the help of all of us to showcase our own rare machines, input on current values, etc. I think a new book is long overdue. The Walters book is a great book, but it's over 10 years old and so much has changed with the hobby in that time. I really fell like a book again with sections like Jeff did is needed. Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, 7UP, all other and so on. It's a great book, but how many people would love an new updated one! Tons!!

Brian
I also like the idea of a new book I think it would be a great thing and received really great, But Coke will be a problem to deal with, But if Jeff Walters did it then it can be done .

Just a thought if Coke is a problem then do two Books  Coca Cola  & then one for everybody else  And then title it SMC soda machine reference books.
again just a thought.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 07:28:42 pm by Pat Pixley » Logged
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2011, 08:38:33 am »

The only reasaon I suggested making a "Price revision" or update sheet was that by the time you create, and find a publisher to print the book, there are minimums that have to be met and I've heard it would START at about $40,000 up front costs!...

hence trying to find different ways.

I agree with others , and sure it would be great to be able to have a section on SMC that has photos and values as I can access SMC on my Iphone pretty much anywhere so would be just like having a book..

but I'm assuming 90% of the work would fall on Jim and that is not fair as well..

Sooo??? hmmm

back to the drawing board?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2011, 08:49:01 pm »

Being lazy and haven't read this complete thread... any thoughts of just upgrading the “Soda MAchine” section on this site with
a 1-5 grade pricing... like some car books do... 1 being restored inside and out (you guys know what I mean) and a 5 being a parts machine (or is it the other way around) anyway you could have it at your fingure tips on your phone... or have the pages printer
friendly when going to view a machine for sale... All the work is done... would have to just tweak the page to have an area for pricing
and maybe additional images of machines and or soda brands? thoughts? Oo

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2011, 10:45:17 pm »

A new book won't happen unless someone is willing to spend a bunch of time and effort just to lose money.
Jack Sim on oldgas.com has addressed the issue from the author/vs/publisher viewpoint. He's not doing another book anytime soon.
There is no real market these days. $10.01 is the price point.

A spreadsheet of current pricing on popular models updated by the folks that that know such things would serve a purpose.
But the problem being, no two machines are the same, and prices vary by region. Then you get the "well it's worth 5k restored" crowd :-).

Leave well enough alone. Post a picture of what you have/want. If someone knows, they will reply with information.
Creighton

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2011, 12:32:22 am »

Good point Creighton. I'm gonna test the waters with a question to the group.  biggrin

Picked up this non embossed slider yesterday, complete, cools and vends fine.
NO DENTS anywhere but does have scratches. Nicest original I have ever owned. Walters book lists only the embossed version at $950 average cond./restored at $1950... or the Glasco at $475 / $1650.
      This particular version is not in the book.

Any suggestions as to what todays actual market might bring in your area??

Glen
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2011, 03:58:51 pm »

Good question and also a hard one. To me there are different price groups, almost 4. There is Craiglists pricing, e-bay, retail store, and collector, they all are different. If I see a Coke Machine on Craigslist my mentality is cheap. If I buy something from a collector that is part of his collection I would pay more as I would a retail shop. Even e-bay can be broken down to 2 mini price points. A seller who is new or is selling something he just stumbled across one would tend to pay less from that seller then the seller who deals in Coke Machines and knows everything about them. Just my 2 cents.

On your Slider there is no such thing as a $1,000 restoration so in our price book there needs to be a bigger gap then $1,000 between average condition and restored on Sliders.

I would break it down like this.

Glasco $500 avg. $2,200 restored
Embossed Ideal Coke $1,500 avg. $3,200 restored.
Yours Glen $1,200. I gave it a slightly higher price because although a generic it is a Coke generic and also of it's condition. No restored price on this one because it would be a sin to restore it and if it was restored it would just be a restored generic, no one would care it as actually a Coke before.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2011, 10:20:45 pm »

Just a thought,  a new "SMC Discussion Area" maybe called  "Machines Purchased" can be created where the members can post the make, model, year, price, condition (scale 1-10), amount paid, date purchased and picture with comments.   It wouldn't be perfect but would reflect a more current market and price trends, better that a 10+ year old reference book. Don't get me wrong reference books are great for all there info, but not for current values.
So if a member is looking for a Cavaliler USS-96 (I know,who would LOL)  they can do a search  in the  "Machines Purchased Discussion Area" for one an get and idea of what others have paid for similar machines overtime.  SMC members that wanted to can input all  their soda machines to get it started.

Make      Model     Year Condition  amount paid  Date Purchased   SMC member  Comments
Cavailer   USS-96  1973    7          $300.00          06-09               RAYG           clean  no rust working

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2011, 08:59:03 am »

Just for the heck of it, I made a google doc that can be edited by anyone with the link... Don't know if its the best way to do it, but worth a shot. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmEGeWYXIWuodDlmeFJMdHNNckwzWUZnblNHdE9TU2c . If it works, we can make a sticky. It should be in an area only available to members who are logged in...

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: