SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 04:14:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is that the cheapest you got?  (Read 12535 times)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 09:25:00 am »

Another sad part of today is the things we buy tend to fall into the "throw-away" category.  Appliances, in particular, fall into this.  Our antique machines had cooling systems built to last, just like the old refrigerators.  Compare one of those cooling systems to the one in your new high-dollar frig and you'll just shake your head in sadness.

When it comes to getting things built, repaired, etc. you have to pay for quality work.  Naturally, we don't want to pay more than necessary, but we should never EXPECT to pay LESS than necessary.  I will admit I shop in Wal-Mart, but not for everything.  Some of the stuff just isn't up to the quality I want to have.

I agree Wayne - everything is "planned obsolescence" nowadays.

As my father used to say "Cheap things are not good and good things are not cheap!"
He passed away in 1986, so some things never change!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 03:14:55 pm »

Exactly like how they stop reflling bottles so all you have is throw away plastic or over priced throw away glass, damn shame

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 03:33:35 pm »

I bet Rick Dale could do it for 35 bucks..... oh wait, he can cange water into FREON!

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 06:56:26 pm »

Better watch out Eric, you might get another ten calls from members here just to harass you!  Thanks for the CS-80 unit. I haven't had time yet to get it installed. By the way it looks it will probably be a Thanksgiving project.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 07:03:11 pm »

Hey Eric,
   Just curious...what is a decent going rate these days for a reworked/rebuilt or new cooling system to put into a Vendo 216?  Saw a guy on Ebay selling them and he said he'd sell me one for $600.  Just wondering if that's a good rate or if is high.  Not sure I need one just yet, but shopping around just in case.  Thanks.

Ken

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 07:19:53 pm »

You could buy another working machine or two for that price...

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 07:43:57 pm »

Okay Guys. Nothing against anyone, but is it just me or does everyone think compressor work, parts and labor...have gone DOWN in these times?  veryangry Has anyone bought a roll of copper tubing or a 30 lb jug of freon lately? How about shipping prices or new compressor prices?

PSA (public service announcement)  ...coke machine collecting IS NOT a cheap hobby. If you buy a machine, and someone tells you, "all it needs is a little freon"...don't expect me to give you a "break" or a "discount" because you believed it was going to be an easy "fix".

Thank you for your time.

(I've had 5 of these in the last 3 days)  censored

Yep, I get it all the time from my restaurant owners who are convinced that just because their second cousins uncle told them an old refrigerator compressor will fit in their busted 3-door 3/4 H.P. F-body* compressor freezer I should be able to cram the little piece of crud into it & magically make it work, or my next favorite is " don't you any used compressors in the back?"  I say why Yes I do! they're in that dumpster, take your pick on your way out!  tounge

oh and don't forget ( in regards to a used compressor they haul in from god-knows-where.."if you install this in my machine does it come with a guaranty ?" why yes, of course it does, 5-feet or five seconds, which ever comes first...times up!

Oh & heads up Eric! I had a guy who wanted me to rebuild a 1/2 H.P hermetic compressor, quote, " just cut the top off & replace the valves, it can't cost that much to fix can it?" I referred him to you!  blush

* for those who don't know what an F-body rebuildable compressor looks like, it's an industrial type cast iron body that is rather expensive.  see picture below.   this one runs an affordable $750.00 not including installation...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:45:36 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 07:52:51 pm »

Haha, those are pretty good! Keep up the great work gents!!!

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 08:34:42 pm »

I like the 5ft or 5 seconds... laugh

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 10:49:57 pm »

Johnie...

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Oh, and $750 is a great price for that little compressor. When you get up into the K, E, 4R, and 6R Discuss compressors....watch out...lol The worst thing on rebuilding those types of compressors,
when you have $1200 tied up in a rewind and the "customer" calls you back in 2 hours and let's you know the compressor "just quit working"...GRRRRR  censored Made my partner retire, no fooling.

Ken, sure... the guy on ebay is less money than what I charge. I understand he'll even throw in the diamond plate for free...hahaha. I build "true" drop in replacement units, specific to your machine. To do it right, it cost more. Johnie and I talked about his units as well. If you'll look close, he uses the exact same coil for the upper evaporator as well as the lower condenser...both are Copeland condenser coils. The other "flag" is he doesn't use an accumulator but a copper spun drier, for expansion. In layman's terms...it's WRONG and it's simply a pile of parts, thrown together. In my shop, I also do ALL of my own sheet metal work. Not just tin snips but 60" shear and 72" pan break. I have a full sheet metal shop within a refrigeration shop.

This is the point...experience, equipment, brick and mortar shop, supplies, parts....it ALL cost money. Remember the old adage..."you get what you pay for".  Ask ANYONE who has used me, I stand behind every single unit I build...and you can take that to the bank!

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: