SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 01:40:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coin Mech metal  (Read 4067 times)
btshaw4

« on: October 14, 2011, 09:59:43 pm »

Some of the metal on the inside of my vendo 39 coin door has a green color to it.  The metal surrounding the coin mech, locking bar, and a few other small pieces all have this green tint.  What type of metal is this and what do most people do when restoring this?  Do most people leave it the greenish color, get it plated, or paint it?  I saw a picture of one restoration that looks like it was hammertoned.  Thanks for the help.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:56:59 am »

I'm no expert when it comes to cin mechs. But I wouldn't hammertone one.
You need the coin to run freely through the mech and hammertone is likely
to gum it all up.

Have you tried putting it through the dishwasher. That might get rid of some of the
muck.

Others with far greater experience than me will chip in I'm sure
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 07:04:18 am »

the best bet is to get it restored.. whether you do it yourself or send it out , it will get stripped clean and then rezinc plated like original...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:51:52 am »

The "greenish" color is the type of plating utilized; generally, when restoring, parts can be zinc plated in clear (silver) or yellow (gold, well kind of...). There are other types of plating but these two are the post common. Collecture may know the actual term for the original "olive drab green"; I forget...

My six cents,

Jim

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 10:06:23 am »

The green is Cadmium (or Cad) plating, known for it's excellent corrosion resistance. It is still done, but has environmental concerns and is closely monitored by the EPA. One plating company that I have used in town here can't have any of it in their system and requires me to strip it all off prior to sending my stuff in to them.
Most of the mech is solid steel with the exception of the shaft, which has some potmetal pieces on it. The rejector is mainly steel with the cradles being brass and the main plate chromed.
Thickness plays a huge role in restoring the mechanisms because you need everything to move freely and not binding.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: