SMC Discussion Areas
June 01, 2024, 08:37:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrical / Compressor Wiring  (Read 6466 times)
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« on: September 04, 2011, 08:12:25 pm »

Here's one for the smart guys out there...

I am attempting to replace the wires to the compressor in my V-216.  The picture is what it looks like currently, or before I started anything.  As you can see, everything has been wired directly to the back of the compressor relay rather than going to some sort of "block" as that comes with a new harness.  I have the harness from Fun-Tronics.

Unless I rewire directly to the relay as is currently done, I will be unable to utilize the new harness.  I have realized though that I can still use the harness if I use the wire that looks like a "lamp cord" and hook that to the relay and then plug that into the "block" on the harness.  Couple questions arise from doing that though.... (1) does it matter as to which wire is the "hot" or "return" from the power cord/line...(2) where would I mount the "block"?  On the back of the "block" one slot is wider than the other, just as on the standard house outlet, which to me indicates it needs to have the right wire in the right spot...Huh?

None of the wiring diagrams in the manuals or otherwise mention anything about "polarization" (for lack of a better way to put it) on power to the compressor.  I imagine it must be correct in order to run properly...doesn't it?  Please forgive my ignorance on this issue.  But since the fans run of same input line, wouldn't reversing the wires make the fan run opposite direction??  Perhaps I am completely confusing AC with DC power.

Any input anyone can provide would be most appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Ken

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:10:50 pm »

here is polarity of a standard vending machine connector block...
( minus all of the other control lines for the Thermostat, fans, etc. )

The fans are AC powered & aren't polarized ( they wont run backwards )

on most refrigeration systems of the time ( and even today) the neutral line wire usually first goes to the over-current protector terminal.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:59:07 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:20:21 pm »

Great diagram...thanks!

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:13:31 pm »

Cool!  That diagram makes total sense.  Now, how does that translate into the plug I have to connect to the relay that will eventually plug into the receptacle shown in your diagram?  My relay is wired like the one shown in the picture below, with 3 pins.  The wire I need to connect goes from L1 & L2 and plugs into the block.  Will it make a difference which wire goes where?  Your diagram shows a "hot" and "neutral", so I assume that needs to be resolved in the wiring from there to the compressor, but which wire goes to which terminal?  Hot to L1 or L2 and Neutral to which?  Sorry for seeming so gooned up on this, I just don't want to miswire and burn something up.  Seems I get one shot at this before it's going to cost me LOTS of money that I don't want to spend.  Thanks again for the help.

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 10:35:57 pm »

You can determine the polarity on your diagram, by looking at the thermostat portion, the thermostat is just like a light switch, that is to say you should always "break" or "switch" the "hot" lead that feeds the load, ( in this case the compressor) so that female connector on your block (in your diagram) is the "hot"...now go get 'em "sparky"  tounge

11 is louder than 10...
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 10:37:42 pm »

That's gonna take me a bit to decypher.  Will let you know if I can't figure it out.  Thanks! hopefull

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 10:45:24 pm »

Maybe a little colorization will help...

11 is louder than 10...
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 11:37:45 pm »

PERFECT!!!! biggrin  I owe you a "Coke"!! happydrinkers  I think I can figure that one out much easier.  Now why didn't they just publish it that way to begin with?  Haha.  Thanks!!

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 09:24:18 pm »

So, I hooked all the wires up according to the diagrams....and all seems to work!!!  How long should it take for the line from the compressor to start showing signs of frost?  I let it run for a few minutes and the line did begin to cool down, but did not frost up as quickly as I thought maybe it should.  Perhaps it's a bit low on freon??  Or does it just take longer for some of these older machines?  Either way, I'm happy that everything runs and the compressor kicks on without any issues and purrs like a kitten.  I guess the only other question at this point...aside from all the others I just asked....where in the world to I mount the block that came as a part of the new wiring harness???

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: