SMC Discussion Areas
July 06, 2024, 09:36:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, I watched TV.  (Read 9398 times)
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« on: July 30, 2011, 06:40:12 pm »

Not something I generally do unless BBC Top Gear or a F1 race is on.

The big thing that came across is there is one busy script writer/speech pattern firm somewhere.
Deadlist Catch, American Chopper, Pickers, American Restorations, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, all have the same cadence and mono-syllable delivery.

The lot also seems to have a resident village idiot. Grammy in this category goes to the "Lights on but Nobody Home" Chumbley of Pawn stars.
Runner up, the entire cast of American Restorations.

Very cool finds no matter where they come from. Just wish the shows weren't so dumbed down and annoying to listen too.

Creighton

globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 07:16:02 pm »

ummmm......huh?  oops

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
vintage-air
10 Cent Member

Restoring America...1 machine at a time!

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 08:01:47 pm »

I agree with the "too much reality" or "not so reality" shows that are ubiquitous on T.V. I hate to see the way they treat rare Items on American Restorations and most of them seem like they should be re-treading tires or something. Seems like they are taking advantage of people with prices becaue they are going to be "on TV". Maybe restoration costs are higher in Cali. than here in Indiana bu it's pretty sad. I don't watch it much but from what I've seen, i'm surprised they renewed the season for a second year. I'd rather watch Andy Griffith or re-runs of Happy Days!

RC-81
Pepsi -81
Coca Cola 81-D's
Vendo 39's
Vendo 44's
WD-12's
WH5-T
Westinghouse Junior
Victor 3 door cooler
Lots of picnic coolers... RC, Grapette, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Orange Crush
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 08:51:52 pm »

"reality" TV is  considerably cheaper to produce, if it's a hit, the profit Margin is higher, if it's a bomb, it doesn't take much to retool and try something else. Anyone remember that  one season series about the company that was making very cool furniture and art out of airplane salvage?

As for the "prices" I don't believe a word of what is  told, including   quotes to customers.  Take ti at face value.
And I never noticed the pattern  before,  grouchy guy, village idiot... I can't wait for the heat to break so i can start on my winter projects and not watch this drivel

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 09:45:10 pm »

hey...it's cheaper and if the "big box" says so...then it's "entertainment"....

Gotta Love This American Ride!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNDcAWNscg8&ob=av3e

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 10:47:37 pm »

Yep. Reality TV is very cheap. Look at shows like 2 1/2 men. Charlie Sheen was (and notice I say WAS) getting almost 2 million per episode. So a show that pays the guys at a restoration shop 100K or so per year to restore old vending machines that the customer still has to pay a fortune to restore can afford to not have very high ratings and still come off on top. Its a damn shame. And they could not have picked a bigger idiot to do it. Rick even looks like the lights are on and no one is home. I understand his drive for success and I have to say I would do what ever the producer wanted me too if the money was right and its our fault for watching it.

Even though I know its still scripted the only reality shows I will watch is deadliest catch and overhaulin. I don't care how scripted the show is Chip Foose is a genius and one of the best custom car designers the world has seen and the guys of deadliest catch have to have balls the size of a house to do what they do on and off of the camera. Those are good entertainment. Watching Rick mess up a customers property both by being an idiot and screwing around with the thing they are being paid a fortune to fix and by doing a half ass restoration is not entertainment . Just my two cents.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 10:48:46 pm »

Well dang Eric, If'n you want some TX rock and roll post the masters. Not some come lately young'n.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjERS4v4QYI
Interesting to see where this thread goes :-)
Creighton
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 11:04:41 pm »

If you want to watch some bad (but funny) reality tv, watch the Operation Repo or any of the Repo shows...it's like a train wreck...you can't take your eyes off of it.

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 03:09:23 am »

My seven year old girl loves Repo....

Creighton are BBC showing UK top Gear or US???
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 08:35:02 am »

Yes.
James May is a Hoot!

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: