SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 04:26:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with possible scam on ebay  (Read 5697 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: July 04, 2011, 08:21:34 am »

I am selling my mackbook and this person from Minsk Belarus has asked to buy it now. They said they will pay viia paypal which was my request and that I can send it to their shipper in the use via fedex with signature delivery and they will ship it to them. They will sign a letter saying I am only responsible to get it to the shipper in the USA. It sounds Ok but its still fishy. Why buy a macbook from me in the USA when they can get one there. But with paying paypal can it really go wrong? I told them I will not take extra money and send them the rest and he laughed and said of course not he is not from Nigeria. Smiley

what would you do? He offered me exactly what I wanted out of it and its not a crazy price. Its basically what its worth but the bidding is slow at the moment. What would you do?
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 08:46:01 am »

Ask him why he's buying it from the US instead of from Belarus? I would also contact paypal and ask them if this is a scam. I just got the graigslist scam 3 times today.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 08:51:03 am »

If you are uncomfortable, say no. The stress  trying to get your money back if it is a scam isn't worth a quick sale

How's his feedback? Get the  shipper name and  see if it comes up in Google, as a legitimate address or business.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:23:38 am »

josh,
with all the other problems and concerns you've  had with Ebay in the recent past.. I just don't like how this sounds.. Cant confirm or deny a scam, but you and Ebay have just not gotten along..? biggrin

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 09:30:00 am »

Yeah I agree with signguy... you've had so much trouble... it isn't worth it... just let it run its
time on eBay to the end... Do you have interest in the auction (watchers)?... Let it run...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 10:50:57 am »

have him send a "Bank Check"...let it clear....then send it.

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:41:52 am »

As an "Overseas chap" myself I know how frustrating it is to get some people in the US to sell to me. Recently I wanted to bid on a high end vending machine (birthday pressie to myself) and contacted the seller to see if he would allow me to do so. I have good feedback both as a buyer and a seller of vending machines which is all there for him to see.

He never responded and I never bid.

The emerging markets of the Eastern block countries will enevitably mean that a good deal of trade will go that way.. Would be a shame to turn a sale down BUT I also take into account the issues that you have had with Ebay in recent years and perhaps this time you might want to air on the side of caution.

Flightfanatic
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 12:40:18 pm »

If you decide to send it, I would pay for a tracking number and receiving confirmation or ship it as a fragile item. With it being so far overseas, they could claim they never got it in the mail, or possibly being damaged on arrival..

Dixie Narco DNCB 240/138-6
Dixie Narco DNCB 320M/184-8
Lacrosse CCB-90-9
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse Master Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WC-96-T
Westinghouse WH-22-T
Ideal 35 Slider
FL Jacobs 35
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 12:52:02 pm »

I agree you should always do a delivery confirmation. It doesn't cost that much.
vend_dr
25 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 01:17:14 pm »

Sounds a lot like this

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: