SMC Discussion Areas
June 29, 2024, 06:29:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paint Cost - For Reference  (Read 5456 times)
ScottP

« on: March 18, 2011, 09:43:16 am »

I just left the Auto Paint Supply house in our area, and for any newbies like myself, I thought this may prove helpful as for estimating your refurb costs.  I am refurbing a Cav CSS-64FS. I picked up 2 quarts of red (too much but wanted some extra), a quart of white, quart of primer, and the the required reducer, hardner and thinner for the paint and primer. All total out the door was $185.00.  Going to pick up the sand for the sand blaster today and should be good to go now.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:45:15 am »

If I may be nosey what paint did you buy? It does make a big difference in the end.

ScottP

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:31:54 am »

Loman, it is a PPG paint, a good friend of mine does buisness with the PPG dealer locally and he recomeneded the paint. I will take a look and see which PPG paint I purchased. I will post it once i get back by the shop later this week.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:29:56 am »

You got a really good price. without a good friend in the business, red paint is crazy expensive

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
ScottP

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:42:09 am »

He said I did, I was not sure what the going rate was for the paint. I was expecting $300 out the door and when he said $185, i did not ask any questions, paid and headed out the door.
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 10:48:22 am »

Didn't paint any machines yet, but did allot of auto body work and prep work is 90+% of a good paint job

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 12:14:07 pm »

prep work is 90+% of a good paint job
Absolutely true ! ! !

Scott,
Did you purchase single stage or base/clear...? That's a great price ! ! !
I just priced a gallon of PPG Concept (single stage) red with reducer and catalyst - $500   
                                                                                                                         jawdrop

My six cents,

Jim

ScottP

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 09:50:47 am »

Jim,

It is a single stage.  looks like it is all about who you know, just usually i am on the wrong end of the "good deals", so hopefully one went my way this time. I ight need to send him a Christmas card. Almost finished with the body work, had to cut out the bottom portion of both doors (small and large) and replace it due to rust, fortunaltly my father is keen on welding and repairs. Have finished sand blasting and sanding. Had a slight unexpected delay for this week, but hope to get back on it in the next week or so.  i will post some pics of the process once we get it primed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: