SMC Discussion Areas
April 25, 2024, 04:42:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tar in side WH Junior and Master?  (Read 8331 times)
SSmoothie
10 Cent Member

« on: January 24, 2011, 09:43:23 pm »

I've taken the liner box out and scraped most of the tar out around the edges. Will a sandblaster remove the rest of the tar?

TIA

Clay

Vendo 44
Firestone Refer (sold)
Westinghouse Master (sold)
Westinghouse Standard (sold)
Westinghouse Junior
Westinghouse Half Junior
2 Dole Super Dispensers
Coke Cooler
Some Signage
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:01:32 pm »

Might, but heat buildup may wrap the liner. Maybe Acetone or Aircraft Stripper. Somewhat nasty solvents so check the instructions.
Creighton
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:10:17 pm »

Sandblasting most likely will not remove the tar.. most likely create friction and turn it into a gooey mess..
what I do with the coolers with tar is put them out and let them freeze.. easy for me, I'm in WI where it's usally below zero all winter long.. once it freezes.. it chips out much easier..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
RED SPARKS
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:15:30 pm »

Detailed cars several years ago and we always used a solvent on the road tar, but that was normally small amounts and not a heavy layering.  So maybe a freezing it off technique would work.  Got any dry ice?  Good luck with it.

"Not everyone can be a hero, somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by"- Will Rogers

BOOMER SOONER!!!
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 06:31:51 pm »

You could use a steam cleaner, or as suggested, freeze it, chip off the majority, & steam clean the rest, if you live in an area that doesn't get below freezing outside, you could look up a media blaster who does frozen CO2 blasting (dry-ice blasting) this "cryo-blasting" is the same technique that was used to remove the "tar" water proofing from the inside of the statue of Liberty when they were restoring it & it's torch, although then they used liquid nitrogen as I recall.

another option might be to chip off the majority & have the chassis alkaline dipped in a tank by a furniture restorer, it will remove anything but the metal.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
SSmoothie
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 12:10:55 am »

Thanks guy, I've have remove most of the gooy tar it scraped off easy. I have some DX330 grease remover. I will try that, also I have solvent cleaner and a small steamcleaner. I don't know if were going to get any more days of freezing weather.

Vendo 44
Firestone Refer (sold)
Westinghouse Junior
Westinghouse Half Junior
2 Dole Super Dispensers
Coke Cooler
Some Signage
SSmoothie
10 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 11:06:09 pm »

Update: I thought I would update this for future search, I scraped most of it off with a sharp edge and then use the DX330 (you can get the DX330 at any auto paint outlet) and a rag to rub the rest of it because the scraper will not take it all off. This is in the inside area and you could probably paint over it but I'm a picky bastard and wanted it all gone. I think I had about 8 hrs or more into doing this, and that include the tub rail bars also.

Vendo 44
Firestone Refer (sold)
Westinghouse Junior
Westinghouse Half Junior
2 Dole Super Dispensers
Coke Cooler
Some Signage
sbcroix

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 02:47:34 pm »

Update: I thought I would update this for future search, I scraped most of it off with a sharp edge and then use the DX330 (you can get the DX330 at any auto paint outlet) and a rag to rub the rest of it because the scraper will not take it all off. This is in the inside area and you could probably paint over it but I'm a picky bastard and wanted it all gone. I think I had about 8 hrs or more into doing this, and that include the tub rail bars also.

Thanks for the information.  The bottom of mine is all tarred as well, and now I have some good ideas on how to get it off!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: