SMC Discussion Areas
June 30, 2024, 01:02:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salesman cooler on Ebay  (Read 7425 times)
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 11:59:29 am »

That is what I just took out of my Jr. That's why I was asking about what to use in place of the celotex. That insulation is really very coarse and scratchy. It's nothing like what they use today.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 12:12:41 pm »

Iv'e used a rigid form of insulation on the bottom of those style coolers in the past.. I am not sure of the name or brand, sold at Home Depot/Menards type stores.. It's about 1 inch thick and has a r19 value if I recall.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Chedki
25 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 01:02:14 pm »

Did a quick google on Celotex and found this link. It's got asbestos.  oh

http://www.asbestos.com/companies/celotex.php

Royal Crown Cola Ideal 55 slider
Nichol Kola Quikold Standard
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 01:13:56 pm »

When I worked at the University They would tell us to tear off the asbestos if it was no longer than 3 feet. Later on they started training people to take it off. I have been around a lot of asbestos. My father said when they covered boilers they would mix it with water in a wheelbarrow and there would be a cloud of dust in the air. Needless to say he ended up with asbestos in his lungs.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 03:04:10 pm »

No suprise.. almost everything related to insulating in the 50's 60's had Asbestos..
I find it hard beleive any exposure from restoring a cooler is going to hurt ya...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 05:21:28 pm »

ASBESTOS is nothing to mess with!

I would strongly suggest wearing a mask when handling anything that has the remote chance of containing asbestos.  In March of 2009, I lost my brother-in-law to Mesothelioma.  It is a horrible disease that has no cure.  He was diagnosed shortly after he and my sister returned from their honeymoon.  He was an otherwise healthy man in his late 40's.  His only exposure to asbestos was during his college years when he worked commercial construction a couple of summers.

He was very fortunate to last 5 years (most people get 2 years if they are lucky) but that was only because he participated in many clinical trials of radical treatments.  He went through 5 years of hell but hopefully his participation in the experimental treatments helped to further the research on this type of cancer and get a little closer to a cure.

He was one of the strongest SOB's I have ever known based on all that I saw him go through.  I am currently planning a fundraiser in his honor for the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation.  It will be sometime in 2011.   For more information on mesothelioma you can visit www.curemeso.org

drinking Tim drinking
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 05:33:54 pm »

Dust masks will not work. You have to get the kind that allows you to replace the cartridges. The mask has to be stored in a sealed plastic bag or the cartridges will be of no use. The regular dust masks do not filter out the tiny particles and these are the ones that get you.
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 06:10:10 pm »

Tim's right be very careful, at work we take mandatory training on asbestos, some of the things I learned are :
If it’s in good condition and encapsulated  it's probably will not release the hazardous fibers and may be left alone. The danger occurs if it becomes damaged or crumbles over time, spreading the dust into the air.  Whatever you do, do not try to remove it in you house or garage.  It's really not worth the risk to your health and getting caught and fined. This is one job that's better left to the pro's !

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up