SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 11:33:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: removing paint from porcelian  (Read 3251 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: October 26, 2010, 11:09:06 pm »

Will just any paint stripper work for taking paint off porcelain or are there some that are too strong? My gas pump has porcelain coated side pannels that I need to remove some paint from but I don't know what chemical to use.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:38:45 am by johnieG » Logged
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:41:23 am »

As porcelain is basically melted glass applied to the steel of the pump, any basic paint stripper will work, but it will also remove any decals, silk-screened logo's too. just dont sand it off as you will scratch the porcelain & that would be bad.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
RetroMe
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:26:09 am »

I have removed the paint from several old porcelian gumball machines using Soda blasting. I have acess to an industrial dry soda blaster and it works very well to remove paint without being to abrasive. Comes out very nice.

Craig
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 05:09:18 pm »

Thats good. I just wanted to make sure nothing would happen it it. Going to get some paint stripper so that I can get the frame painted up before it gets too cold. Do you guys have any suggestions on a good paint stripper? I just don't want to end up getting something that does not do a good job at taking the paint off.
aspbear
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 07:20:20 pm »

If this is truly porcelain,  just use water and 000 steel wool.  I have cleaned several signs with this simple process,  I would be afraid the stripper might dull the color of the porcelain...

aspbear
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 07:37:26 pm »

Regular laquer thinner will remove most cheap paint.

Glen
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 08:39:41 pm »

If this is truly porcelain,  just use water and 000 steel wool.  I have cleaned several signs with this simple process,  I would be afraid the stripper might dull the color of the porcelain...

The color of true porcelain enamel is part of the glass beads/powder itself, & the paint stripper & solvents wont harm it at all , ( think of a colored/stain-glass window pane, you can scratch it, break it, but the color is part of the glass itself, not only a surface coating)  steel wool will work with some elbow grease too as you've stated.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 09:39:14 pm »

How do I tell if it is truly porcelain? I did do some experiments with stripping the paint using PVC pipe cleaner which I think is mostly acetone and the finish is still shiney and red. (I origionally thought it was paint and was not too concerned with what happened to it) Is that a good test or not?
aspbear
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 08:34:49 pm »

If you did not get any color transfer to the rag you were using with the PVC cleaner then it is porcelain.  The paint would give you some color transfer....

aspbear
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: