SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 10:26:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The History Channel: American Restoration.....  (Read 6530 times)
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« on: October 26, 2010, 06:06:49 am »

I tuned in last night at 9pm EST to watch the premier of The History Channel's pilot for Rick Dale's "American Restoration" show. Whoops!

Within 25 seconds I had changed the channel to something silly like "Cake Boss"!

It's pretty sad when you have to usher your family out of the room because the language is so bad on TV. I've been in the Navy for going on 20 years so I'm no stranger to foul langauge. Every other word that came out of Rick'
s mouth or his buddy "Kowboy's" pie-hole was bad. The word's that got censored only covered about half of what should have been!

I was really hoping that I would be able to watch this show with my family, especially my oldest boy. That ain't gonna happen!! In my opinion, History Channel has sold out moral values and decent programming to make that almighty buck. Way to go!!!

My 2 cents.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 08:50:52 am by BrianB » Logged

Brian
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 07:51:51 am »

I didn't see the show but that doesn't surprise me. Thats how he was on the phone too.
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 07:53:00 am »

I really enjoyed the show. I have to agree with Brian. My mother in law watched the show and I know she would have really liked it, but with all the xx!!^^^--++ it kind of turned her off, and not great for the kids either. So I hope someone tells Rick about this, and maybe they can correct that. That way all ages can watch the show and enjoy it. Still I'm really looking forward to the next show.

Rod
Fun-Tronics
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 09:02:02 am »

So what did I miss? 

What did he find or restore?

Is it worth watching?

A lot of stuff.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 12:21:39 pm »

If you have to act funny to be funny or cuss then do something else... so much was staged...
And how upset would you be if that was your antique they were warping and destroying before they restored it.
Taking pride in their work should start from the time they carefully removing it from you... And not dragging it all
over the parking lot for a cheap laugh... Hope they tone down the slap stick and language... stick with the history
of the item and how they do detail.. for example would have liked to see how the bike seat turned out from the
blacksmith... all that work and didn't even see it or how about the decal he had rebuilt... would have liked to have
seen that process...

Wish I would have kept that round top fridge I had... they bring $3000?... guess those will be going up now. smile
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:01:31 pm by Eric » Logged

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 01:00:39 pm »

Yes, they will, and they sit and sit and sit. I've yet to see a reostred round top fridge actually sell for more than $500
Sounds like I didn't miss anytihng, It's all been proven  they not adverse to switching items, so i doubt it's the actual customer item that is  shown being abused.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
vendo39
10 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 01:30:12 pm »

Funny I didn’t even notice the cussing….   Maybe that’s a hint I should clean up my own language!  censored biggrin

Anyway, I enjoyed the show, even if parts of it looked to be rehearsed or otherwise unrealistic.  It was fun to see the unrestored machines setting around in the background and to see a couple of projects get turned around.  I was sort of surprised at not only the prices he quoted for restored items but at the prices he charged for the restoration.   

I would have like to seen more of the actual restoration process and less of them yucking it up in the parking lot like with the guys from Pawn Stars but all in all I liked it.

Brian

Vendo 39, 44, 56, 81B
Vendo Changer, early
Vendo Changer, late
Dr. Pepper Queen Anne
Nesbitts Ideal 85

Popperette, Stoner JR, Stoner 180,
Stoner Theater, Mills Candy, Canteen Candy
Pat Pixley
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 02:37:54 pm »

If you have to act funny to be funny or cuss then do something else... so much was staged...
And how upset would you be if that was your antique they were warping and destroying before they restored it.
Taking pride in their work should start from the time they carefully removing it from you... And not dragging it all
over the parking lot for a cheap laugh...
Totally Agree with you on this Eric,  to much was put into being a Chumlee (Pawn  Stars) just for a laugh  what would be nice to see is the process of the restoration.
what they did to that backing plate for that candy machine with the media blasting was wrong , but like the idea of them showing what kind of media's are out there .  And  just a thought if they were that none professional with Rick's golf  cart why would anybody else want to take their stuff to him ??

Hope Rick get some feed back and will fix it and make it right  .
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 03:54:41 pm »

From the History Chan. http://community.history.com/topic/22176
RED SPARKS
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 04:05:06 pm »

For a first shot at it, I thought the show was good.  However I would like to see more of the work, and process, thats not what the "producers" feel will attract the most viewers.  So we shouldn't be suprised if the show turn into a show about the strife between Rick and his workers i.e. Orange County Choppers.  A show about a disfunctional family that happens to assemble bikes...  So yes it would be nice for those that appreciate the work to see it, but soda blasting and hammertoning may not sell advertising like knuckleheads and goof offs.  They will instead try to make them "characters" and personlize and image them, rather than make the show you guys really want to see.  As for language on the show I noticed it had a few bleeps, but no where as many as any episode of Bridezilla's that may girlfriend has made me watch.  Those brides shouldn't be wearing white with that mouth.  So by comparison, a guy that rarely wears sleeves and probably busts knuckles all day to a bride to be that thinks she is the new center of the universe, I was less offended by the Restoration Guys.  I work in radio and we don't have a delay or bleep button so I have to b aware not to drop any F* Bombs, they are wrench turners and have a post production team to censor it so I doubt that they will be that driven to stop them.  Also they mention that rule number 0ne is "Attention to detail"  if anyone watches the one where he restores the Hop-a-long Cassidy bike, look at the chain gaurd when Rick brings it out.  Looked like there was a smear of the white paint.  Might have been the light but it like something kinda smeared it...  Probably easier to see if you have a DVR and can pause it.  

"Not everyone can be a hero, somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by"- Will Rogers

BOOMER SOONER!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: