SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 05:07:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another new project  (Read 7232 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: September 16, 2010, 10:54:40 pm »

I was at a garage sale today and I found an old sunbeam mixer that was really dirty sitting on the shelf labeled free. Thought long and hard about it and decided to take it home to maybe bring it back to working order. Started messing with it tonight and it turns out the thing is just REALLY dirty and needs a new cord and beaters. Going to totally dissassemble the thing and try to clean it all up and get it working again. I all ready got the base looking brand new and found a pdf form of a manual that sort of tells how to take it appart. Thing is built like a tank and I don't think I can ever break it. Also if you guys know where I might be able to get some parts for it like the beaters please let me know. Kind of a strange question but it is a really nice looking mixer and it was free. Will try to post some pics soon. Don't have any of it in the before state but the top still looks kind of nasty.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:00:51 am »

You should be able to find a model number, sunbeams may still carry replacements, check their web site.

Nostalgia never goes out a style, so I am sure there are collectoes out htere who can also help locate the parts. I would even look for the retro power cords, they are being reproduced with the cloth covering .

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:03:32 pm »

I will definatly have to look for one of those. Did not know that they were still making cloth cords. That would be pretty cool. Do you know what kind of grease I should use in the gearbox? Every place that talks about the mixers says to replace the grease but does not go into detail of what kind to get. Would just a food grade one from grainger work?
Pat Pixley
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 01:55:18 pm »

There is Van Dyke's   http://www.vandykes.com/    they have the old cords and stuff like that.
That is were I bought the hardware to do my old trunk .
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:57:27 pm by Pat Pixley » Logged
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 02:03:40 pm »

Here is a quck picture I took today of the mixer. The base and the arm on the stand have been cleaned up a lot. The base had just dirt on it kind of looked like the area near the front of the mixer. I also cleaned the selector dial at the back of the mixer. I still have to clean up the top part though. Lots of what looks like flour and stuff inside on the parts. Thinking of just using that keyboard cleaner and blowing it all out.

BronzeGiant
5 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:08:03 pm »

I have one just like that with all the bowls and beaters, was my mom's everyday (well, not EVERYday) mixer.   biggrin

Cavalier CS-148-C
Cavalier CSS-64
Selectavend 1-A
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 02:14:12 pm »

I have one just like that with all the bowls and beaters, was my mom's everyday (well, not EVERYday) mixer.   biggrin

Do you have a picture of the beaters? I'm not sure what the ones that go to this one look like. Also do you know what other parts I need? Not sure if there are any other parts besides a bowl and beaters that are not there. I do see two holes near the front of the base that I don't know what they are for.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 02:40:53 pm »

I do see two holes near the front of the base that I don't know what they are for.

I am guessing that they were there to stabilize the bowl when mixing.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 04:59:30 pm »

There was a round Lazy Susan type piece that the bowls rested in.
That way you could easily rotate the mixing bowl as you mixed.
My terminology probably sucks, but its like a record player platter.
Terry
BronzeGiant
5 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 05:12:20 pm »

I'll look when I get home and post pics of mine if I can find it.

Cavalier CS-148-C
Cavalier CSS-64
Selectavend 1-A
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: