SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 04:56:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stealth Bomber over the house  (Read 8432 times)
Cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 09:09:54 am »

we are lucky enough to have the air and water show here, we get to see the planes flying over the whole city.
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 03:07:13 pm »

I live about 30 miles from Edwards air force base so we get to see some pretty cool aircraft quite often flying over head. It's not uncommon here to see B2 stealth bomber's. They are pretty cool looking aircraft and neat to see unles you live in Iraq. When they fly the new Raptor's they always have a couple of F16's and a B2 for "support" if you know what I mean. The B2's were made at skunkworks about 45 miles from us in Palmdale, Ca.  Years ago one of the three prototypes crashed late at night behind our rock quarry and was actually in flames as it flew over our plant. One of my coworkers witnessed it and called the Sherriff's office to report it. Bad idea, the men in black showed up within minutes and interigated him for 16 hours. In the end they told him that he didn't "see anything" and that he was the only person that reported seeing "nothing". The next morning the highway was closed down and locked down by guy's with big gun's. No one was allowed in or out with orders to shoot to kill! The news was there and inquired about what was going on and it was reported it was just a special training ops. When a couple of 18 wheelers were spotted coming out with something trapped down they were asked what was under the traps? Their reply was there was nothing under the traps! To this day my buddy says that AF1 crashes in his backyard he isn't calling anyone!

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 03:48:45 pm »

Terry that would suck to be your friend. That sounds like something our government would do.

At wright Pat in Dayton Ohio where the Museum is located is still an active air force base. It is also the home to the largest fleet of B1B's in the USA. They are also cool to see. At the museum they have the only B2 on permeant display. In the newer aircraft hangar they also have a B1B, B52, SR71, F22 and they also have the apollo 13 capsule on display. But I think the coolest plane they have is the Bockscar B-29 that dropped the "Fatman" atomic bomb on Nagasaki on Aug 9th 1945. They also have one of the original wright fliers and all of the air force 1's that have been used prior the current 747's.

The Wright Patterson museum is the largest Air Force museum in the USA. They have an amazing collection of aircraft and it takes several hours to go through. One of the best things is its free admission. My offer stands that anyone that wants to come to the museum let me know and I will be happy to meet you there. I don't know everything but it is a great museum and one of my favorite places to spend a day. I know it is not soda machine related but it would make a cool SMC midwest meeting place! I attached a few pictures. They were taken with my phone and may be too small to see well.
BronzeGiant
5 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 07:01:16 pm »

The only problem I have with the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson is the fact that once they get ahold of an airplane, it never flies again. I know they are in the business of preservation but just like cars were built to be driven, airplanes were built to fly and should be able to do so even if owned by a museum.

Another off topic side note EVERY B-17 that went to war went with 4 Wright Cyclone radial engines built under contract by the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana. biggrin

Steve

Cavalier CS-148-C
Cavalier CSS-64
Selectavend 1-A
Cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 07:29:15 pm »

one of the best signs I ever saw on a military installation was at NAS Whidbey Island in Oak Harbor Washington. I was in the Marines and went there for school. The people in the area were always bitching about the noise from the jets.  The Commander had a huge sign posted  near the front of  the base, and I mean huge  billboard big.  It said, PLEASE PARDON OUR NOISE IT'S THE SOUND OF FREEDOM !
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 07:59:59 pm »

Out here in DC, we have the new Air and Space museum, the Udvar-Hazy center, which is a lot like Wright-Patterson.  They have a ton of planes there, the SR71, the Enola Gay (the other atomic bomb dropper), a space shuttle, an F35, and a ton of others.  Its about a 20m drive for me, and well worth bringing people out there when they come to visit.  If you ever have a layover at Dulles airport, take a cab out there for a couple hours.

There is also an IMAX theater that they put in there, which is where I go to watch all movies now.  Cant' go wrong watching movies on a screen that size.

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 09:19:10 pm »

They had a fly-by over the local airport open house here in Oakland county Michigan last month & me & my son thought it was awesome!  It was a great show including four WW2 naval fighter/bombers & even a WW1 Biplane, a B29 & an F16... Two years ago they even had rides on a 1930's Ford tri-wing! 

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 09:23:01 pm »

One of the fighters mentioned above

11 is louder than 10...
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 09:27:56 pm »

and a bomber

11 is louder than 10...
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 07:13:50 am »

COKEMACHINES,

When I was stationed out in San Diego, the Marine Corps transferred a helo squadron from another base to MCAS Miramar. Some of the people in the surrounding community started to whine and moan about the noise.

Funny thing, 95% of these people had recently moved to the area and had the audacity to complain about the noise that is a by product of an Marine Corps AIR STATION!!!

The local news channel interviewed a bunch of residents of the area and the resounding statement was the same as the banner you mentioned, "That's the sound of freedom!" I love it!!! laugh

As a side note, I grew up right next to NAS Moffet Field in Sunnyvale, CA. We lived about 4 miles from base and right in the normal landing pattern for the multiple P-3C III squadrons that were based there. The sound that those turbo props make is so distinct. Every year since I can remember we would go to Moffet to watch the annual air show. The Blue Angels were always a hit as well as the old warbirds. Seeing as how it was a P-3 base, everybody LOVED to see the show that they put on during their flight demonstration. When they would simulate dropping a weapon on a soviet sub, they would light-off some pyrotechnics on the north side of the main runway and would always end up lighting the scrub brush on fire which meant that the Federal Fire Dept. would have to roar out onto the tarmac and runway to fight the accidentally set blaze. The stands would go crazy!!! They loved to see the trucks put out the fire. They got as many cheers as a street sweeper picking up horse dookie after a Fourth of July Parade!! biggrin

Right next door to Moffet Field is the NASA Ames Reasearch Center. They do all sorts of cool funky stuif there. They have the largest wind tunnel facility in the world, they have a variety of really neat experimental aircraft and at one point back in the 80's they were the control center for the Voyager series space probes.

During the Cold War, the P-3 Anti-Submarine Warfare aircraft was the most hated thing that ever took to the skies, according to Soviet submarine commanders! The P-3 has a 12 hour on-station or "loiter" capability which means it can circle and stay in the area for half of a day without refueling. If they needed to, they could shut down 1 to 2 engines to increase that loiter time.

As a shipboard Sonar Technician, I had a love/hate relationship with the P-3. I was a sensor operator on a peice of equipment that received data from sonobuoys that were launched by either a helicopter or fixed wing aircraft. When operating the system, I was directly in charge of communicating with the aircraft controller on my ship, the sensor operators onboard the aircraft and my direct supervisor in Sonar Control. At the same time all that was going on I was busy "tuning" sonobuoys and analyzing the data on my screen to see if there was anything of interest in or under the water. Normally we worked with an SH-60B Helo that was capable of carrying 25 sonobuoys, not to difficult to keep up with. They'd "spit" a line of buoys and I would tune them and analyze the data to see if there was a possible submarine threat creeping around.

Every once in a great while we would get notification that we would be working with a P-3. They carry HUNDREDS of sonobuoys and they aren't afraid to use them!!! Instead of spitting 10 here or 7 here they would VOMIT 40 or 50 in one drop!!! My screen would light up and go crazy!! Fun, fun, fun!

Brian
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: