SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 04:08:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stealth Bomber over the house  (Read 8430 times)
bubba
Soda Jerks

« on: September 13, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »

I was over at my in-laws looking at my MIL's car and I heard this jet flying overhead, but it didn't sound quite right.. It lasted a few seconds, and I decided to have a look outside.. We are on the outskirts to Newark airport, so I hear jets once in awhile.. It was a Stealth bomber all by itself, just kinda floating through the sky at a fairly low altitude.. it looked like a UFO.. It was such an awesome sight to see... I wish I could have reacted quickly to get a picture...

I would still like to know what he was doing in my neighborhood.. We don't have an airport for that within 250 miles at least, especially down that low..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:31:28 pm »

That is really cool! There is an airforce base near me and they have a flight path that goes pretty close to my house and we see all kinds of different planes flying by. Even saw the space shuttle atlantis on the back of a 747 flying by. That was really strange to see. Were there any airshows going on near you? The stealth comes around here sometimes to do a fly by at the airshow.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:09:33 pm »

I would still like to know what he was doing in my neighborhood...

I think Uncle Sam is keeping tabs on your MIL!   tounge

I live about a mile from a regional airport and we occasionally F-14's or F-15's flying over the house, which is always cool.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 11:12:57 pm »

Stealth planes are fine. Practice run most likely.
When the black helicopters show up overhead time to worry :-)
Creighton

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 05:35:25 am »

The closest military base is about 150 miles away, but I don't think he would land there... We rarely get military planes overhead unless its an old warbird.. there are a few of those local to me.. I've had the space shuttle land in my backyard, but that was the hot air balloon version.. I'd love to see it piggbacked in the air..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 05:56:45 am »

Bubba,
     The stealth was most likely doing a flyover for a football game or an airshow. With 9-11 last weekend they were probably at alot of games.

We had one last year flyover at a Nebraska football game, it flew directly over my house at about a 60 degree bank, Impressive to say the least.

All of the stealth bombers are located at Whiteman AFB in southern Missouri, they launch all there missions from that location.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 06:25:17 am »

My son is an aviation nut so we check out aircraft both old and new every chance we get.  There is a large air show in Ypsilanti, MI at Willow Run Airport, home of the Yankee Air Museum http://yankeeairmuseum.org/  A few years ago they had a Stealth Bomber at the show and it flew over our house a number of times.  Very cool plane.  My boys took several pictures and a video even though it was at a very high altitude.

The Willow Run Airport is near the GM Willow Run plant.  This plant and airfield were constructed during WWII by Ford Motor Company for the mass production of the B-24 Liberator.  They produced up to 650 planes per month at the peak and they had barracks area where pilots and crew waited for the planes to roll off the line.  My friend's father worked at the plant and his job was to train the gunners on how to operate the turret gun.

The Yankee Air Museum has a fully restored B-17G Flying Fortress "The Yankee Lady" in their collection.  It flies over my house regularly and it is amazing to see that plane go over with the highly polished aluminum exterior.  When it is anywhere in the area, the roar of the 4 WWII era engines is unmistakeable.  I always step outside to see it fly by.  You can actually pay for a ride on the plane.  Something that I have to do someday.  From what I understand, this plane appeared in the movie, "Tora! Tora! Tora!"

During practice for this year's air show, I was in my office when I heard it approaching but it sounded much louder.  When I stepped outside, there were four B-17's flying in formation and they were accompanied by a couple of WWII vintage fighter planes.  They circled the area at least a half a dozen times at between 1000 and 2000 feet.  Very cool to see.  Grabbed the camera but could not get any real good pictures. down

At the rededication of the University of Michigan Football Stadium, they had "The Yankee Lady" fly over during the ribbon cutting ceremony.  I swear that guy was less than 100 feet above the top of the stadium.  It was awesome.  That was followed up by a fly-over during the National Anthem of a couple A-10 Wart Hogs!

If you like vintage aircraft, I highly recommend the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, OH and the Naval Aviation Museum at the NAval Air Station in Pensacola, FL.  The aircraft that they have at these two museums are incredible.  As a bonus, the Blue Angels winter at Pensacola so if you are there in the winter you will likely get to see them practicing.

drinking Tim drinking
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 06:27:57 am by mznb1u » Logged
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 07:05:13 am »

Yep I am 20 minutes from the Wright Patterson AFB museum. I had an aviation History minor in school so if you ever want a guided tour let me know. I am a regular there.
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 08:13:17 am »

The Monday night football game was in Jersey and I'm probably a 15 min fly from there.. The game was already in progress when it was heading in that direction though... I know they had some fighters at Newark airport for the Sept 11th ceremonies in NYC, but that was 2 days prior. I wish he'd come back as it was a cool sight.

I'm not a warbird buff by any means, but I do appreciate the old planes.. We have 2 at a local airport in town that routinely roar across my yard and I love the sound. I've been to 1 warbird museum outside of a major airport, but can't remember where. It was a pretty cool museum somewhere in the midwest. If I get out that way Josh, I'll take you up on that. I had an older gentlemen, I think he was a vet, walk me through the museum and it was great to hear the stories of how some of the planes got there and what they were used for.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 08:15:03 am »

The only time we get to see planes flying overhead is when I go to a Packer Game, our seats are up near the top of the stadium (which is only 60 rows or so) but when they do flyovers timed with the end of the national anthem..I get chills every time,, they have flown F16's , Blackhawk Helicopters and more... coolest was during a tribute to a former packer player who passed away, 4 jets came over, and one broke off in the Missing Man formation.. VERY COOL!!!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: