SMC Discussion Areas
June 28, 2024, 05:21:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Couldn't Get it in the House!  (Read 5662 times)
Marketblandings

« on: August 02, 2010, 12:24:43 am »

Hi Folks!

I'm new to So-Mach.com and the hobby as well. But just wanted to share the solution to my problems with you.

My house was built in 1917. There is no way in that doesn't involve steep, shallow stairs and a turn or 2 (what were they thinking in those days!)
Still, I had a lifelong dream of owning a Pop Machine (Minnesota terminology) from my childhood days and "upgrading" the contents to include bottled beer as well!
I found the machine - a 1964 LaCrosse. I was 7 in '64 and LaCrosse was a regional machine seen often around here.
I still didn't know where it would go - and after I drove 6 hours to pick it up, I learned for the first time how H.E.A.V.Y. these freakin' things are!
I brought it home and it spent almost a year in the garage.
In the meantime, my wife had begun to "remind" me that I had promised to build a deck in the back yard some day...........
It hit me like a lightning bolt - as long as I had lumber and tools out I could build a home for the pop machine, too!
I have no construction experience, so it took me awhile to devise a plan. In the end it became  a freestanding deck just above ground level (and AT ground level for the weird step-up our yard has). It has two connected "tin roof shacks", one for food service or seating out of the rain and the other as a hail-proof, protected home for the LaCrosse.
It has been so successful that I went on to build a matching chicken coop for our (urban) chickens.
The pop-shed even has a tin cover that closes it off when we are out of town or for the killer Minnesota winters.
Thanks for your time. Just sayin' hi!
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:55:15 am »

Nice!  Welcome to the site!

drinking Tim drinking
Pat Pixley
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 02:15:43 pm »

Looks Great  smile  looks like a great place to hang out on a friday or Saturday night.   Just a note , make sure you don't get the mice building their nest in there during the winters. ( they will chew on the wiring )    And welcome to the site smile.
Marketblandings

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:08:44 am »

Thanks for the mice tip! I will start giving it a mid-winter inspection. If they do eat the wires, I already plan to re-wire it next Spring. I was surprised to see it's done with ordinary lamp cord.
Pat Pixley
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:55:38 am »

For the Wiring Harness you can Call Soda Jerk Works  or Funtronics they have the wiring harness  it make thing alot easier and those
LaCrosse's are fun to rewire  Oo I've had a few in my day.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 06:22:46 pm »

That is a really neat idea! I might have to try something like that sometime.
Marketblandings

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 11:13:20 pm »

Hi Pat,

Mine didn't look too bad. One thing I had to fix when I first got it home was re-do many of the connections where the wires come together out in the open. They had butt splices that were naked metal! No insulation of any kind. I think these connectors had some kinda plastic covering that fell off over time..... I guess. Anyway, I had a pretty good look then and electrical is my strong suit ( I repair antique radios), so warn me now, cuz I think it's gonna be a breeze (and, of course, it never, ever is). biggrin
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 11:51:05 pm »

...electrical is my strong suit ( I repair antique radios)....

Do you have a collection of them? Would like to see some pics.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Marketblandings

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 12:40:28 pm »

I have a small but growing collection. Also have repaired freinds' radios - amazing how many people have radios that have been cosmetically restored but don't work!
Also, repaired and gave away 5 different small radios one Christmas.

I'll try and post pix early next week. Not set up with them right now.
BronzeGiant
5 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 12:52:31 pm »

Too bad antique radios won't pick up old radio broadcasts, the stuff being broadcast now isn't worth listening to.

Cavalier CS-148-C
Cavalier CSS-64
Selectavend 1-A
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: