SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 04:12:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Annual returnable bottle trip and Winona, MN comments  (Read 3266 times)
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« on: July 25, 2010, 10:46:53 pm »

I just got back from my annual trip to Wisconsin and Minnesota to trade in a bunch of returnable bottles. Soda in glass seems to be getting more and more popular. Seymour Bottling (WI) had a really low supply of 7 and 10 ounce bottles. They said that they are having a hard time keeping up with the demand. I had to end up getting all 7 ounce bottles and I was not able to get everything that I wanted.  The Winona, MN Coke plant ran out of Mello Yellow a few weeks ago, and they said they will be out for a few more weeks (they only crank up their bottling line once a month). They did let me trade in some of my Mellow Yellow bottles for some Sun-Rise Cream Soda and Barq's Root Beer. I have a little more info and a few pictures on my GlassBottleSoda.Org Facebook page (it's a public page): http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glass-Bottle-Soda-Org/135924063091434

After my uncle and I were done at the Coke plant, we went a few blocks down and grabbed some lunch at a little sandwich shop on the Mississippi River levee. They serve returnable glass Coke products out of an old round top! Pic

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:21:59 am »

I now "like" your facebook page.  smile

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:58:12 am »

OMG!!
how long to bottle a full case of 24 bottles?
Not that I'm complaining it slow, but, I remember how fast
the can line went a few years back at the Coke plant in Elizabethtown KY.
Terry
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 01:00:33 pm »

smile Thanks

- - -

I think you are commenting about the bottler at Seymour Beverages. I think it's one every few seconds, from what I remember seeing a few times back when it was running. The equipment is over 65 years old.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 02:42:01 pm »

That is cool that the sandwich shop uses a CS 72. Our local small grocery store uses a CS96 round top to sell bottles of coke for $1. It has been painted with a brush and looks terrible but it is still cool.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 03:57:22 pm »

Is Clint Coleman Still around? he was pretty old last time I was down there, and his Son in Law was running the joint... do they still have all the old signage up in the office and the lobby?
It's been about 5 years since I've been down there..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 06:24:19 pm »

Yea, Clint is still around. He was in the office sorting through stuff this year when I went. Last year they had me pull in the back of the building and he was in the break area with a few of the other employees. They told me that Clint is still the one who mixes all the syrups. There were a few signs in the break area, but not in the office

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 09:35:09 am »

WHen I was down there the first time over 8 years ago.. I had mentioned my grandfather who owned and operated bottling plants and he lit up and started telling me some stories about a few times they had gotten together at the Bottlers conventions, lots of drinks and stories where flowing at those meetings.. he then showed me around the whole place.  Great guy and great family.. at that time they had some old calendars and signs in the office and some great old cardboards and button signs in the lobby and front area of the plant... Since then I belieive his kids have all the stuff and I heard they either sold it all or are going to one day?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 06:28:07 pm »

do they still have all the old signage up in the office and the lobby?
Looks like they still have the old stuff stashed away at the plant. Blair Matthews, the editor of Soda Spectrum (formally Soda Pop Dreams) magazine emailed me in July about the bottlers I go to in WI since he was going to be that way. I told him that he also needs to check out the Winona plant. He went there and had a great time. He has an article in his other publication Cola Conquest with a bunch of pictures. He sent me a copy and I just received it today. Have not had time to read the article, but they show a bunch of old signs, machines, and more.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: