SMC Discussion Areas
July 03, 2024, 02:15:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Civil Defense collection  (Read 12950 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: July 08, 2010, 02:49:24 pm »

I thought you guys might like to see some of my civil defense collection. I have a few survey meters, two geiger counters, some dosimeters and a stack of documents about 3 or 4 inches thick plus some old film strips for training. I don't have pics of the documents or the film strips although I am going to take pictures of each slide and make a powerpoint so I will have a digital copy of the film strips incase something happens to them but I do have pics of the detection equipment. One of these days I would love to find an old siren and restore it. Basically it is a motor with some metal parts so they would not be that hard to restore. I would also like to find a fallout shelter sign. Funny thing is out of all these items I have never found a fallout shelter sign.

Here are the pics.
Dosimeter box

Inside of dosimeter box

CDV-700 low level geiger counter

Close up of probe showing beta shield

tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 02:51:25 pm »

Give this a shot, looks like there are a few out there:  http://craiglook.com/all.html?q=fallout+shelter

scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 02:56:45 pm »

High level survey meters

CDV-715 survey meter measures high level gamma radiation

CDV-715 bottom

CDV-720 survey meter measures high level beta and gamma radiation

Bottom showing ion chamber and beta shield

3rd survey meter basically the same as the CDV-720 but not made for the government

Has beta shield like the 720

scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 02:58:43 pm »

The only digital meter I have. I also have another one like this with a dial on it but I only have a video of it working and no picture
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 03:01:12 pm »

Give this a shot, looks like there are a few out there:  http://craiglook.com/all.html?q=fallout+shelter
Awesome! I might go for one but right now I am actually working with someone at getting some that have never seen the sun. They even still have the reflective paint outlining the letters and no fading. They have to figure out what they are going to do with them before they say I can have them.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 03:02:43 pm »

Also if you guys want any close up pictures of anything or some pictures of the insides of any of the machines let me know. The only one I can't get inside pics of is the digital one but the rest I can.
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 05:49:42 pm »

Pretty cool.
I have a Fallout Shelter sign hanging in my gameroom. I also have an old metal Civil Defense water can (which then served as a comode) in my garage that I store camping chairs in.  I got it from work when they were gutting my old building during a remodel job. For a few years it was a garbage can in my area! The custodians took it out of the bomb shelter/tunnels under the building (a high school that was built in '69) since my old garbage can came up missing during summer cleaning in the mid 90's. 

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 05:59:07 pm »

That's an awesome collection of meters you have! I just got finished with a 40 hour Industrial Radiographers Course so survey meters are near and dear to my heart!! The largest cause of accidental exposure is the Radiographer not using his survey meter to ensure the source is where it should be. Nasty way to buy the farm.

When I was a kid, my dad brought home a HUGE box of CD First Aid Kits. The individual boxes were about 3 feet long by 6 inches square. They had everything that you might need including a full set of wooden splints. My pops worked for the City of Palo Alto, CA. and they were throwing them out and he thought they would be cool to give to my Boy Scout troop.

Brian
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 06:10:45 pm »

I have fallout shelter signs; you can have one for the cost of shipping. And you have to listen to  my stories of  the actually having to practice :Duck and Cover"

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 07:38:02 pm »

Dang SB,
There was just a siren and diesel powered spotlight on the local craigslist. Thought about you. Spotlight was a mess, no lense etc. Prices were high.

Kilroy,
If you have a second fallout sign I'd be interested.
Thanks!
Creighton

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: