SMC Discussion Areas
August 24, 2024, 08:07:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To restore or not to restore - that is the question  (Read 3147 times)
csiwannabe

« on: July 07, 2010, 04:07:58 am »

I can't make up my mind whether to restore my Cavalier 33 or not.  It is in good original condition except for the cord and a cracked coin intake.  I love the original red and white paint scheme and it runs and cools fine.  My main concern about any of my machines is that I can use/enjoy them.  Part of me says restore it so that I know it is in excellent working condition and I can use it and enjoy it without worries.  The other half of me is saying, "It's only original once" and hesitates to restore it because I don't want to take away from its charm.  I am curious to know what you all think.

Cavalier C-33 - original
Vendo 83 - original
U Select It square top - restored (amateur)
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:50:16 am »

If it works, it displays nice, keep it as it is.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 06:06:59 am »

If the exterior finish is nice, I would say keep it original.  You can (and should for safety reasons) still re-wire the electrical and replace the fans while you're at it.  At least if you are going to run the machine.

drinking Tim drinking
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 06:37:20 am »

I agree with the others. If it's pleasing to you, works correctly and has a nice finish, keep it that way!

I would however replace the main power cord. Also, the red plastic coin entry housing is available from Soda Jerk Works.

http://www.sodajerkworks.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=628&cat=36&page=1

Brian
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 07:22:08 am »

I would rather have a nice original with its wear and tear as oppose to a restored machine. They look like an antique but when they are restored they sometimes look too new.  Plus, as it is now you won't worry when people use it, but if your like me, you'll be a nervous wreck until after it gets its first scratch.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 08:34:40 am »

In my opioion, there is nothing wrong with doing a "Refurbishment" on a nice original machine,, if the outside is that nice.. great,, keep it that way.. take it apart and redo the insides if your concerned with something not quite right..I would be hard pressed to say that an interior restoration, ie, clean up parts, repaint/plate or whatever you want, new insulaltion, wiring, clean and lube all moving parts, and reassemble, would hurt the value in any way, and most likely will add to it..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
gasmelincelr

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 08:08:57 pm »

Fix the mechanicals, but leave the finish as is. Good original paint is priceless. It is a true look at history. As soon as you restore a machine you will likely never feel comfortable letting people use it without you right there monitoring. My Vendo Junior got a workout this past weekend. It vended a whole rack of Cokes for the first time in decades. They are only original once.
Seven181
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 08:56:45 pm »

I agree with most, try to keep it original, unless it has to be restored. I try to keep most of my stuff original, unless it's just way to bad and needs a restore.

Brian  happydrinkers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: