SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 07:11:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: free Victory V-line CCD108 -worth keeping?  (Read 7023 times)
rayg
Soda Jerks

« on: July 05, 2010, 01:24:52 pm »

Found this in my driveway (Victory V-line model-CCD108), it turns out a neighbor that knew I was into Coke things, left it for me when he moved. "Not the one in the picture but about the same condition".  I took off the back cover and it shows the compressor was serviced in  5-03, it also has the tale tail saddle valve. It runs,  but doesn't cool. Is it worth buying some R12 replacement to see if all it needs is a charge or should I just put it to the curb?

Ray
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:14:33 pm by rayg » Logged

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 07:05:29 pm »

If it's  going to be an inexpensive fix, I'd get it running. It would work  for parties,   The garage or day to day.  And  extra  refrigeration space is a plus

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 07:45:24 pm »

These Victory V-line coolers of this style have an inherent problem with pin-hole leaks caused by electrolysis between the copper evaporator coils ( embedded between the aluminum inner liner & the urethane foam insulation ) & the inner Aluminum liner, if you look closely down along the insides liners bottom edge where the aluminum meets the stainless steel bottom, you may see some holes eaten into the aluminum liner itself also, caused by moisture & an acidic reaction with the urethane foam, you'll be chasing leaks forever.

I've successfully repaired this problem on occasions with an industrial stop-leak additive that reacts with moisture in the air to form an epoxy plug with limited success, as more pin-holes will eventually appear. ( also if you decide to use an in system stop leak for metal leakage, be aware that you will need to change out the filter/dryer because the moisture that it captured during it's lifetime will cause the stop-leak  to crystallize & plug it up real good!

The more permanent repair will be to install a small evaporator coil. bypassing the original in-wall coils altogether. I have one of these in my shop too, the owner just gave it to me after finding out what & how much $$$ it would cost to fix it, the longest lasting repair I got out of the stop-leak on this style cooler was about 9-months before the darn thing leaked out enough to stop working again, it does have a nice 1/6HP Danfoss compressor that fits nicely into Ideal & Galsco sliders though!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:31:45 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 08:39:17 pm »

Thanks guys for that advice, I was looking to use it for my kids graduation party, I think I just pull the fan and the compressor, evaporator etc and just use it as a ice cooler . Johnie the  compressor looks to be good shape,it's your if you want it.

Ray

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 08:46:08 pm »

OK, Deal...I'll make good use of it I'm sure soner or later, Thanks!

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: