SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 06:50:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a re-painting and re-chroming quote  (Read 8894 times)
jnapp18
« on: June 30, 2010, 05:40:52 pm »

So i just got a quote to re-paint and re-chrome my WE-6 wet cooler. He is also going to have the stainless steel cleaned up and polished. He quoted $500 dollars and i feel like it is a fair price. What do you all think?
Vendo_110
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 05:56:10 pm »

Hell Yes!! I would jump all over that.  My V56 is costing $250 just for the chrome!  I vote you do it..  Cool

Vendo 110 (Coke)
Vendo 56A (Coke)
Cavalier C-51 (Coke)
Cavalier C-72 (Coke)
VMC H56C Transitional (Dr Pepper)
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 06:45:41 pm »

I'm paying 600 for a Seeburg G chrome alone  I'm not getting a warm fuzzy for 500 for paint, chrome, and oh i'll polish
If  it's  on the up and  up  I'd jump all over it.   
Get it a detailed list of what's being done,. I can get a can of Krylon Chrome  spray paint at the local Ace Hardware for 6.99 - trust me it doesn't look like it came from a plater's

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 07:47:31 pm »

I would be weary of a quote that low. When I break down my cost for materials for painting a machine in PPG DBC I figure the cost for base coat, clear coat, hardener, etching/filler primer, sanding primer, thinner, reducer and other supplies is over $400 and that is at my dealer cost. So that means they must be cutting costs somewhere. Yes buying in quantity is much cheaper and this price is a small quantity calculation but still. So they must be using cheap paint and doing little to no prep. Also your chest has a lot of lettering to be done. My sign painter would charge at least $250 to hand letter all four sides of your WE-6 and that would be cheap.

You may have found a great deal and found someone that just doesn't figure how much work will go into your cooler but I would be very weary for that price. If someone were to come to me and ask for a price to paint your machine and do it right I would charge no less than $2,000 and that would be on the cheap side. Your machine has a lot of embossing and hand painting all of that embossing is not cheap and is not easy. Also is there any chrome on your WE-6? I didn't think there was any chrome on the WE-6 just the stainless opener trim?

I am curious to hear what everyone else's view on this is.
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 09:00:28 pm »

At that price thats what you will get, a $500 job. Stay clear. $1200 to $1500 on paint and body work, $250 on hand lettering and thats when you take the machine apart. Add $175.00 if you sandblast. I know someone who paints for $500 to $600 but I don't use him!
jnapp18
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:02:53 pm »

Yeah. I met with the guy today and he seemed honest.. we'll see tho. And also i talked to the guy at Antique Vending a week or soo back and he said the handles were chrome and the metal top piece was chrome.... Pics below..
jnapp18
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 09:07:10 pm »

He has shown me quite a bit of his work and it all looks great! I don't think this will be a half-a$$ job. hopefull
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 09:16:38 pm »

Thats great! The parts you posted pics are from a 6 case master not a WE-6. Is he hand lettering it for that amount or just painting the red? The hand lettering is the most expensive and the time that goes into prep Is one of the hardest things. Is he sand blasting it. With as much embossing that is on your machine it will need to be blasted. I just cant imagine how he could possibly do a good job for that price. Materials alone would cost more than what you are paying. Will tis machine go inside or out?
Pat Pixley
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 09:31:34 pm »

Well remember what they say you get what you pay for Oo

I am getting a quote ready to restore a tricycle from the 1950's  the handle bars and the bar around
 the front fender to have these chromed is costing $250 and this is for a tricycle oh. the paint is going to
cost $ 350 and that is for a lot of red and a little white .

Just watch for runs , drips and waves ok.

And good luck
jnapp18
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 10:17:14 pm »

We are still talking about the lettering because he has a worker that does pin striping but i told him it has to be near perfect if not perfect so if he thinks it will be a challenge i told him i will find somebody else... One question.. he said if they don't do the lettering he will paint the whole thing red then clear coat.. is it okay to hand paint the lettering after clear coating.. Probably a stupid question.. im 17 haha.. actually one more question.. what is this embossing tape ive heard about that you put over the embossed letters. then sand.. then paint.. how does it come out using this method???
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: