SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 01:56:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thermostat question  (Read 5197 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: June 14, 2010, 08:11:02 pm »

On my machine I had it out in the garage and it was working fine untill for some reason the machine would never shut off. The cans were as cold as they were before but for some reason it would not shut off. I even tried turning the thermostat to the highest setting as far as  it would go and the thing still kept running. I think it was a combination of it being so hot out there and the thermosat may have gone bad. Is there a way to test if the thermostat is bad? Also the door does not seal perfectly and when I opened the machine after a few hours of turning it off there was a ton of water on everything inside.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:30:17 pm by johnieG » Logged
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:40:51 pm »

Turning a thermostat "higher" means that you've turn it "colder" , turning it "down" means setting it "warmer"
( yeah I know, it's bass-ackwards)

Sounds like it went "south" for the summer  tounge, it's probably bad / stuck closed & it's causing the compressor to run 24/7, time for a new one.  if your T-stat' is the contact type ( senses the temperature of the evap' coils & screws to the metal of the evaporator, then you can get an A12-701 or equivalent, Funtronics & sodajerks-works sells them too.

PS: set the T-stat' to mid-range & try rapping the shaft end of the T-stat with a plastic end of a screw driven & see if it's just a little stuck, sometimes this can free up a pair of dirty contacts inside,

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:46:02 pm »

Turning a thermostat "higher" means that you've turn it "colder" , turning it "down" means setting it "warmer"
( yeah I know, it's bass-ackwards)

Sounds like it went "south" for the summer  tounge, it's probably bad / stuck closed & it's causing the compressor to run 24/7, time for a new one.  if your T-stat' is the contact type ( senses the temperature of the evap' coils & screws to the metal of the evaporator, then you can get an A12-701 or equivalent, Funtronics & sodajerks-works sells them too.

PS: set the T-stat' to mid-range & try rapping the shaft end of the T-stat with a plastic end of a screw driven & see if it's just a little stuck, sometimes this can free up a pair of dirty contacts inside,
I get those confused sometimes. If you unhook the thermostat does the compressor shut off? I am going to have the refrigeration system taken out when I fix the rust in the bottom of the machine and was wondering if I could test to see if it is bad or not. I know it is not low on freon because the temperature was fine in there but I think it had to be about 90 or hotter in that garage that night which may have helped keep the cans from freezing up.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 09:52:44 pm »

Yes , you can remove one of the terminals from the back of the thermostat & it should turn off the compressor, WARNING & WATCH OUT, there is line voltage across the back of the thermostat & the wires feeding it...unplug the machine before you touch the live-side of the T-stat. & tape the unplugged terminal with electrical tape so it doesn't short out on the machines metal chassis. (or you)  wow

PA: regarding your sweating interior, get some sticky-foam door seal form an automotive supply shop & make a better seal around your door before you flood yourself out of you garage.. smile

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:55:30 pm »

should I put the door seal on the door or the cabinent? I really like that idea. Thanks for your help I am going to mess with it soon and will let you know how it goes. Also one other question should I be worried about the humidity messing with my coin mech? I just don't want my new one to go the way of the origional one and start dumping coins or something like that.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 08:27:19 pm »

What type of thermostat do you guys recomend me getting? I saw that there is a contact type and a non  contact type. Not sure which one I should get.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 08:42:09 pm »

I believe the non-contact type is more reliable.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 09:05:48 pm »

Does your existing thermostat's capillary tube make contact with any metal or is it mounted in a position that only cold air blows across it? 
          I usually try and copy the original design.

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: