SMC Discussion Areas
April 30, 2024, 05:54:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Popperette part reproduced!!  (Read 15397 times)
vendo39
10 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 11:26:07 am »

Here are few more.. biggrin

I love that picture!

Brian

Vendo 39, 44, 56, 81B
Vendo Changer, early
Vendo Changer, late
Dr. Pepper Queen Anne
Nesbitts Ideal 85

Popperette, Stoner JR, Stoner 180,
Stoner Theater, Mills Candy, Canteen Candy
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 08:53:54 pm »

Wow, thanks for all the great info, they are really cool. I would buy one if somebody would to reproduce them. I know their mechanize really could be simplified with electronically controlled step motors instead of cams etc.
I really like the video that showed how they worked. So did they use oil? if so didn't it go bad fast? Also ,where did the have them in bar's, bowling alleys ?

signguy are all 8 of those all yours in the picture?

Ray

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 09:37:43 pm »

If they were somewhat less money than the original I would buy one. We eat Popcorn almost every night. My wife is a popcornaholic  biggrin I know she would allow that in the house!  Wow it feels weird calling her my wife  biggrin happydrinkers
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 09:37:52 pm »

What's happening Ray.  They were designed to use coconut oil, just like the movie theaters.  Coconut oil is a solid and has to be heated above 76 F to melt.  Being a solid state, after the oil cools down, the oxygen in the air could not attack the oil and spoil it.  I used oil over six months old in the machine.  That's oil that has been heated, cooled, heated, cooled, etc.  When the oil level gets low, I replenish it with "new" oil.  This oil has not ever been heated.  It comes out of my five gallon pail, that I bought and opened, six years ago.  It's still good.

Liquid oils will spoil in about a month of usage.  I tried corn, vegetable, and sunflower.  Liquid oils, after being reheated, will leave a gummy residue.  It is hard to clean.  Coconut oil can be cleaned with a damp warm cloth of water.

Coconut oil has to melt before being pumped to replenish the oil in the pan that houses the heater.  If that pan lacks the proper oil, the heater will crack.  To help the oil melt ceramic heaters were used in the main oil pan to pre heat and melt the oil prior to use.  This could take about 30 minutes.  I redid mine so you can start making popcorn in five minutes.  I usually tell my kids ten minutes to be on the safe side.

There are pros and cons to what oil is to be used.  The only real advantage that a liquid oil will have is that you can make a batch of popcorn any time.  No need to preheat the oil.

A lot of stuff.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 09:51:25 pm »

I use a strictly liquid oil now. I made the switch about 3-4 months ago and have never looked back. I've ran multiple back to back runs, let it sit for weeks without use and used it once or twice a day with no problems. It's called Pops-a-Lot and is sold by a company in Indianapolis.

Brian
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 10:49:29 pm »

signguy are all 8 of those all yours in the picture?

Ray

I got lucky through a lead on this site over a year and half ago or so and bought all those from one guy, Lots of parts machine, was able to complete a few and sold them , and then some parts machines sold and still have some parts.. I have one left that is missing the main motor, but am working on a lead for that..
They are great machines, really cool.. and fun to use.. I have used Cocanut oil, but have recently been trying the Pop O Lot that Brian spoke of ... I kinda like the cocanut oil tast better though.. Jury is still out... gotta eat more Popcorn..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 09:40:33 pm »

I see why they would want to use coconut oil because it wouldn't spoil.   what oil to use I think it all comes down to personal preference, if you are a heavy popcorn eater then you would want to use the healthiest oil available, but if you just fire up your Popperette on special occasions then use coconut oil, because then you are always ready to go.    A rough dilemma, I wish I had LOL. It's hard to beat  good old fashion movie popcorn!

Signguy  it must have been a big gamble to buy so many in varies conditions.  Based on your collection listed, you are very diverse. Are you every going get a slot machine, pinball , jukebox ...etc?

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 08:27:41 am »

!

Signguy  it must have been a big gamble to buy so many in varies conditions.  Based on your collection listed, you are very diverse. Are you every going get a slot machine, pinball , jukebox ...etc?

We'll thats the the hobby, sometimes you take a gamble, this one was a good bet.. it turned out OK.. I like Coin op in general and I have had Slots, Pinballs and I have one Juke still in the collection.. no room for many more.. wish I did, then I'd have a few more.
Thanks

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 09:20:48 am »

I bought one of these from Brian, got it on Saturday. It looks awesome great job. It looks nice in the picture but even better in person. If you own a popperette, you need to buy one. Really dresses up the machine!!!
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 10:38:37 am »

Cokemachines,

Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it. Even though it was brief, I enjoyed meeting you and putting a name with a face. It was also neat to actually hand deliver an item with on the spot inspection/approval! Again, thanks!

You planning on going to the Chicagoland Show in November?

Brian
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: