SMC Discussion Areas
June 27, 2024, 07:29:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I-70 Drive-in  (Read 10575 times)
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 03:07:42 pm »

Tim,

Cool site,  The Bel-Air was also the main one we when to as kids,  I still got some super 8 film of it from I think from 1980, I like the way the letter had that waterfall effect, also you're  right about the Ford-Wyoming , would hate to get car-jacked in a drive-in!

TomFromJersey,

I was in the same boat,  the US-23 drive in Flint. MI ride home is  over a 1 1/2 hour and when the last movie ends @ 1:30am you don't want that long drive, so last year we stayed at the KOA that was 5 minutes away.  Worked out good. lately we been going to the Ponitace Silver Dome drive-in, only 20 mins ride home.
I checked  out the CFTBL pinball http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=588&picno=8536, I remember it,  still a hot one for collectors. Pinball is another thing I like to collect more of  only got one now.

The Gratiot drive-in was the one with the waterfalls, but by the time I when in the earlier 80's,  I don't think they were working anymore .

Also does anyone remember the Northtown theater ?  it was a inside thearter located on 7mi & Van Dyke in Detroit, I remember see Batman there in 1966 when I was 4. It was very Art Deco inside because it was built in 1936

http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/location.asp?ID=703&type=5

Ray

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 06:48:51 pm »

That is an awesome theater! We have a theater like that here in Omaha. It is the Dundee theater and I don't think they show current movies anymore but I do know they show Rocky horror picture show at midnight and they do have some different movies there too. Not really sure how to descibe the movies but it is a really neat looking theater and to think I used to live within walkig distance when I was younger but never stopped by untill about a year ago. This site has some pictures of the whole place. http://www.cinematour.com/tour/us/734.html
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 07:04:04 pm »

If i ever hi the lottery, I plan to open a drive in theater and  a  drive in restaurant. 
Sorry, Sonics is a wanna be, I mean real cherry cokes. malts and burgers. and fries.
the jukeboxes are taken care of.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 07:23:06 pm »

If i ever hi the lottery, I plan to open a drive in theater and  a  drive in restaurant. 
Sorry, Sonics is a wanna be, I mean real cherry cokes. malts and burgers. and fries.
the jukeboxes are taken care of.
That would be awesome! Sonic is the closest I thing to a drive-in resturaunt that I have been to so I would love to go to something like that.
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 09:15:06 pm »

Cool looking theater it takes you back when going to the movies was a big event like when you were a kid. Now it's it's not that big of a idea ...maybe part of that was growing up!  There are a few good mainstreet theaters still around me, like the Romeo Theater in of course Romeo, MI . It's a little 2 screener mom-pops run theater (http://www.cinematour.com/tour/us/13289.html )  that I preferred to drive 15 miles to  because I'm getting really tied of the giant 30 screen multiplex's.

Heard through the grapevine that a Drive-in theater may be coming to Northern Macomb county.  It would be a good place, allot of open land that shouldn't get over developed based on current zoning laws.

Sonic food is very bland.. I been there once and it was enough, it maybe great for some people, but for those of us know how good it can be it just don't cut it. 

Ray

PS  Kilroy let me know when you open it... I'll be there,   H*LL, I wouldn't even mind even helping out.  here's a cool site to check out on how to buid a drive-in  http://www.driveinworkshop.com/index.htm

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 09:29:36 pm »

Thats a cool site... Sad but true....

Kilroy.. I'll get on a plane to come to your drive in...   happydrinkers

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 09:59:48 am »

We where talking about Drive ins with friends the other night, and one of our friends said she got ticketed for sneaking 2 others in the trunk of her car. SHe was the hauler, not the sneaker, and SHE got the ticket for Theft of services! OOH the Good Ol days!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 10:25:18 pm »

I like that website. They got a diagram for making cement stands to put the speaker poles on in the field and it does not look that hard to make. Might make a nice base if it is not as heavy as I think it would be. Maybe it could be made from wood instead of cement. If I can read the dimensions I think I might make up some drawings and dimension it just to see if I like it. Looks like this one http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/images/drivein/22/I%5Elone_speaker_pole_-_photo_by_www.jpg You know I think I would really like working at a drive-in during the summer. I just think that would be really fun. Maybe next summer I will try to get one at the closest drive-in and work during the weekends. Maybe camp out at some campgrounds friday saturday and sundays and come back during the week. I would not be doing it for the money I just really think it would be fun doing anything there really. Just an idea.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:01:52 pm by scalebowler » Logged
vintagegamer
5 Cent Member

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 02:22:02 pm »

Our local one is "Bengies"  www.bengies.com

scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 03:22:48 pm »

That is an awesome theater! I love the old cars outside the snack bar.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: