SMC Discussion Areas
May 02, 2024, 06:45:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with cavalier uss 8-64  (Read 16366 times)
kebn123

« on: June 02, 2010, 06:47:22 pm »

I just purchased this machine for 125 . I have learned it is a cavalier uss 8-64 . It gets cold. Its very quiet. its also mising 2 trays and two spacers. Or i assume it is missing them. I figured there should be eight it has six. The coinco s75 9400b appears to be broken. and there is a chain laying in the back of machine thats connected at the bottom behind all the racks.  I i dont see where the money you put in should go. plus there is no chute or anything where your change should fall. I assume the bulb is burnt out. I havent a clue where to start first on fixing this thing. I dont know which coin mechs are compatible with this machine. I cant seem to be able to find the exact one thats in there online anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Kevin
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:04:30 pm »

Welcome!  I have a few of these machines, they seem to multiply very quickly!  There should be 8 shelves like you said, I have a couple of extras, but I don't think that I have the spacers, I'll have to look around.

There should be a spring that attaches to the chain on the back of the machine, is the entire chain on the bottom, or just the small part of it?  I have attached a photo to show what it looks like. 

There is also a photo of the inside of the coin door, which shows what you might be missing for comparison.  Try searching for a s75-9800B for the coin mechanism, that is the one that will work for you.  There are some folks here that usually have them for sale...I'm sure they'll chime in.

Thats a good deal you got on a first machine, I have one that I use about everyday.

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:36:11 pm »

I also have a few shelves but am also not sure if I have spacers. Let me know if you need them.

Josh
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 10:40:58 pm »

Kevin,

Welcome to the site.  happydrinkers The USS-8-64 was my first machine--woodgrain Coca Cola version.  Great machine as it can vend just about anything.  I use mine every day.  The spacers are not as inportant as the spacers.  I have all the spacers for mine but it will vend fine without them as long as you are careful to line up the bottles/cans/plastic when you load the machine.

The first of many!

drinking Tim drinking
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:40:24 am »

...The spacers are not as inportant as the spacers.

So are the spacers important? tounge

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 05:44:05 am »

They are important, but not as important as being important  tounge

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 06:44:33 am »

blush Hey, give me a break guys!  blush  It was a long day yesterday!  But, I guess it would be kind of hard to load those bottles/cans/plastic on the spacer without the shelf!  laugh

Of course, that machine with a complete set of spacers and shelves could bring $6-7,000!  I have seen it on E-Bay!

This dimonstraits that it is inportant to pruf reed yur posts!

drinking Tim drinking
kebn123

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 04:28:53 pm »

Thanks for all the input. The pics of the inside of door helped. I do believe I need alot of bottle caps though. Lol.
Was wondering. Will it still vend if I get it working without all the shelves in. I plan on dismantling it this weekend. Cleaning it and taking lots of pics.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 08:35:02 pm »

It will vend without all of the shelves. Hope the cleanup goes well.
Creighton

Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 09:20:21 pm »

and get  friends and family to deposit change so the money goes toward replacement shelved =)

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
kebn123

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 09:49:31 am »

Welcome!  I have a few of these machines, they seem to multiply very quickly!  There should be 8 shelves like you said, I have a couple of extras, but I don't think that I have the spacers, I'll have to look around.

There should be a spring that attaches to the chain on the back of the machine, is the entire chain on the bottom, or just the small part of it?  I have attached a photo to show what it looks like. 

There is also a photo of the inside of the coin door, which shows what you might be missing for comparison.  Try searching for a s75-9800B for the coin mechanism, that is the one that will work for you.  There are some folks here that usually have them for sale...I'm sure they'll chime in.

Thats a good deal you got on a first machine, I have one that I use about everyday.

My whole chain was laying in back. I ran a piece of wire through the top and pulled the chain through. But I can't tell where the long copper spring in your pic is attacted to. Looks like the screw. Plus I don't know where it hooks at top of rack. I found some other parts lying in back of machine when I took out the rack. A little spring. A screw and some square metal thing a hole in it. 
kebn123

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 10:28:56 am »

pic is of extra parts
kebn123

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 10:36:36 am »

this pic of the way i ran the chain up the rack. didnt know if it was sposed to intertwine in the pins
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 06:14:19 pm »

Looks like you got the chain positioning correct, it should go exactly through as you have it.  There is a bracket at the top with three small holes, mine has a link that goes through the lowest one.

As for the spare parts, it looks like one is the flapper that is used in conjunction with the vend solenoid to allow for one drink to be vended.  You can see the flap in the second photo, placed on the 'shark tooth' section of the vending assembly.  The 'shark tooth' piece moves down as you twist each of the drink vendors, and it is that flap that, in its position of the photo, what prevents one of the vendors to be turned.  When you put change in the machine and the solenoid fires, it pushes back that flap, allowing the assembly to move down.  You can see the curved top right above the 'shark tooth' (bad term, but I'm running with it) which pushes the flap back forwards and into the ratchet assembly.  When the whole assembly moves back forward, the flap is now again preventing another drink from vending.  Let me know if that makes sense, lots going on.  I have a stack in the other room, so I can take a small video and explain if needed.

Third photo is the other side of the vending rack.

kebn123

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 03:37:11 pm »

Hey thanks. It all made sense. Got everything put together. but when i turn the machine on. I dont know what makes that lever open up to vend. i know that bar thing is sposed to come out of that selenoid. but all i here is clicking in the door of machine when i move that extra peice up to touch that copper lever . my coin mech is broken i believe. can it be set up to free vend until i get a new coin mech. and how do i tell if the selenoid is bad. I wired it back in the way i took it apart. But if it was wired wrong in the first place. according to diagram on door its wired right thought.

Thanks Kevin
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 03:42:27 pm »

Test the solonoid by removing the existing connectors and send power directly
(but just momentarily) to those 2 contacts.

Glen
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 05:39:52 pm »

There are a couple of things to look at, I have attached a couple of pics that will hopefully help.  The first is the 'idle' setup of the stack.  The solenoid is out and the flap is leaning to the right.  The other important part of this is the vending switch (which I think you called the copper piece.)  It should have two wires going into it.  The clicking that you heard in the door when you moved it are the CREMs (coin-reject electro-magnets) within the coin mech.  The switch has two positions, normally open (NO) and normally closed (NC).  The switch is normally closed when the machine is in the 'idle' state.  If the switch is wired incorrectly, or does not work anymore, then the coin mech will not work.  So you may want to check that switch and make sure it is wired correctly, you can see it in my photos in this thread.

The second photo is of the vend solenoid in the 'vend' position, with the solenoid pulled in and therefore pushing the flap to the left and allowing the vend assembly to move down to vend.

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 05:24:47 am »

Other thing to make sure is there is product in the shelf you are trying to vend.. If you are loading bottles, they must be loaded crown first. There is a lever in the cradle that will not allow the shelf to vend if nothing is touching it.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 08:55:40 am »

I meant to mention that crown first thing on the bottles as well.  When I first got mine, I loaded it up with IBC and thought it did not work.  Then I found out the right way to put the bottles in! blush

drinking Tim drinking
kebn123

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 01:16:22 am »

Wanted to say thanks for all the help. Have my machine in basement. It will free vend now. plugged it in and it got down to 38 degrees. I checked it the day after I plugged it in the temp was about 55. It wasnt making as much noise as it was when I plugged it in. I looked underneath in the back, the compressor I beleive was kinda hot. The fan that was attached to it wasnt turning. I gave it a nudge and it started. It quit turning about a hour later. Is my machine shot, or is there a simple fix to this. Thanks again for all the input.

Kevin
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 05:20:59 am »

The fan can be replaced. They are available from our vendors. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 05:21:29 am »

Time for a new fan.  You should replace the fan inside of the machine as well.  Don't run it until you get those replaced or it will be shot!

drinking Tim drinking
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 10:41:25 am »

Sounds like you need a new condenser fan.  These are available from Funtronics (a sponsor of this site). It's an easy fix.  You should NOT run the machine until you replace this.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up