SMC Discussion Areas
May 23, 2024, 01:14:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V83 Selectivend Conversion and Glassco GBV 50 Interesting day and Seller  (Read 9413 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: May 24, 2010, 10:53:33 pm »

Well I went to go look at a few machines today. The seller had a Very plain gas pump, VMC 72 C51. Vendo 6case, 2 V83 Selectivend Conv, and 2 glassco GBV 50's. At first this guy was really nice. We were looking at his machines and his prices were really high. The VMC 72 was totally disassembled and he wanted $500, I think $600 for the 51 missing parts and partially taken apart and $500 for the pump that was totally taken apart. It was a mid to late 50's Gilbarco pump (very Plain). We discussed a bit about these machines and I tried to give my two cents and let him know that the prices were a little high especially since they all were somewhat taken apart and he admit that not everything is accounted for. He wasn't happy but didn't seem angry. I looked briefly at the V83 Selectivend conversion machines and Glassco GBV 50's since that was what I was there to get. They were packed behind a ton of stuff and covered in chicken crap. Well He said the V83's were really good. They had some rust bet were really good. I could only see one and it wasn't bad. He claimed the Glassco's were good. One had a bad dent but it was complete and he had a donor machine that was great. The prices for the gassco's were a little high but my mom just moved into a new house and she wants a Coke Ideal 55 or Glassco so I was willing to pay the price as I want it to give to her as a house warming gift.

Well He wouldn't move everything out unless I was taking them home and I had to pay first. This was a little odd but I felt it was Ok since the machines I could see were Ok. Well I paid (which was not a lot at all but enough. We pulled the machines out and the second V83 conversion was destroyed. Its a parts machine at best. And the donor Glassco GBV 50 is nice but it has been totally gutted ( no compressor or anything). At this point I felt these machines were miss represented and I asked for my money back. This is where the s&$T hit the fan. He refused to give it back but also got in my face telling me that I have no idea what I am doing and no one uses these machines anyway so it makes no difference if they work that they are for looks only  and anyway a machine takes a day or longer to get cold anyway and are so inefficient no one could afford to use them. I corrected him and said I use my machines quite often and everyone I know that collects uses their machines at least at parties. This is what set him off. I actually was afraid for my life. I am out in the middle of nowhere in Urbana Ohio. This guy absolutely goes off on me. He informed me that I would be leaving with these machines or he would make sure I never left. Luckily I had a wad of cash and he did not rob me but I was honestly afraid. His ex step son was there when he flipped out and when he was away the son apologized and said "now you know why he doesn't live here anymore and I suggest you leave as soon as possible who knows what eh will do." I usually carry a 9mm but I didn't carry it today for some reason.

Here are some quick pics of the machines. The Glassco is fixable. He drilled a ton of holes in it trying to pull the dent and did a terrible job. (Has he never heard of a stud welder) Out of the two V83's I will get one machine. the only problem is that the bottom of the main door on both is rotted away and the bottom pans are not great but savable. I was just happy to get out of there alive. At least I am not out much money. I can still break even I am sure.

Well I hate to bash anyone but this guy calls himself a major restorer and he does buy and sell machines. Please everyone stay away from Mike in Urbana. Everyone let me know if I should post his ebay name. Is that going too far? This guy is bad news.

The only good thing out of the day  is that I got two cases before everything went bad. I got both cases for 420. The pepsi is old and nice and the coke looks NOS. I have never seen one so nice.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:00:03 pm »

Here are a few more. One is the bad V83 machine  and the inside coin door is the good machines. At least the coin mech and cap catcher and coin box are all there. The locks all work too and have keys. Even the main door locks. And look at the holes drilled in the Glassco
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:04:49 pm »

Glad you got out of there with your life, Josh!  Hopefully you can break even on the machines.  I'd post his info here, as he sounds dangerous to other unsuspecting buyers...but that's my 2 cents.

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:11:11 pm »

Jees scary deal. 45 ACP at all times :-)
Creighton
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:22:43 pm »

Thanks guys his ebay is fine-69. He does have 100% positive feedback. If you do but make sure it is mailed and don't offer any advice. He thinks the C51 and VMC 72 are two of the most sought after machines available. I explained that due to their single flavor and limited use that while great machines I would not sink a fortune into one right now if you are planning to flip it. In return he is the one that flipped. His pump was late 50's and it was obvious that it originally didn't have a globe and when I mentioned that it really made him mad along with his idea of a professional paint job being white POR 15. I have not been scared for my life very many times and this was one of them. This is why I got my CCW I have no idea why I wasn't carrying but since he didn't directly threaten me with a weapon I am somewhat glad I wasn't.

I did find an old empty store with two porcelain buttons painted over over n main street in Urbana. i am going to get my Uncle in Urbana to see about them.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:32:08 am »

WOW,
That is quite an experience..not sure what I would have done in that case.. but being you paid him.. I'd want my stuff too..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 09:48:09 am »

Wow!! I'd go back and kick his *%$$.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 09:58:19 am »

What set him off was that I asked for my money back. I said I would take the glassco's but After getting to see the 83's I didn't want them and his response was "F&%k you". "You paid me and they are yours." We had barely moved the machines but he wouldn't let me get to the machines until I paid. Well I think they are neet looking so I wanted them and paid anyway. The one I could see was in good shape. I really got taken.

What also burns me is he helped a little to load them but he knew in advance that I am handicapped and I walk with a cane all the time. I had to basically load these machines myself. I could hardly get out of bed this morning. It was his step son that helped a bit.  Thanks to Brian Seven181 for lending me his trailer otherwise I wouldn't have gotten them in the truck. THANK YOU BRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your trailer saved me!!! What a terrible day

And to make things worse he has a sign I need on ebay that I forgot to get and I really need it so I will be bidding but he cant find out where I live so U worked out a deal with the UPS store to ship it there for me. They agreed to do it at no fee when I explained the situation.
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 10:13:22 am »

hey, look on the bright side, you came away from there with some cool stuff and a story to go along with them.
RED SPARKS
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 10:14:01 am »

Josh, Hey Bro its Cody down in Oklahoma.  Glad your alright.  So should I be taking more than a a sharp pocket knife and a friend to look at machines?  Maybe I need to being looking at Glock's not Glasco's.  Watch he'll probably call you in a week wondering why you haven't been by to hang out.

"Not everyone can be a hero, somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by"- Will Rogers

BOOMER SOONER!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: