SMC Discussion Areas
July 01, 2024, 09:35:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoration Work Begins on the freebie 56C  (Read 2467 times)
empinball

« on: May 17, 2010, 01:04:49 am »

So I've taken everything apart so I can take the machine in for sand blasting and this is what I found after removing the liner and underlying insulation.
What is the best solution??  
1. Have it cut out and have a new piece made $$$
2. Have it blasted and hope there is something left and patch the holes with JB weld or Bondo
3. Brush/scrape it down as best as possible, spray it with rust neutralizing primer and top coat with rubber tool dip or bed liner
A couple other items:
1.  Do I need to remove the tar sealant or will sand blasting remove it?
2.  My machine has no bottle stack light or lighted sign.  Another forum member provided info on how to use a small fluorescent bulb from Lowes to make a lighted sign, but where do I tap into for power or do I need a second dedicated power cord just for illumination?
3.  Will I be committing a collector sin if I don't restore this machine in a soda theme?  I'm not talking about going John Deer on it, but am thinking a College Football theme?

Coca Cola - Westinghouse Standard Ice
Pepsi - Heintz Gullwing Electric
7 up - Vendo 56c-a Electric
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 01:22:36 am »

Depending on how bad the rust is you might be able to use POR-15. I have some rust issues in the liner of my machine and I have been told to use it to fix it. Here is a link to the whole kit with I think enough to do an area about that size. http://www.por15.com/SUPER-STARTER-KIT/productinfo/SSKB/
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 05:33:29 am »

I had the same issue with one of my 56's.. I cut out the bad piece and tack welded another plate on top. Then I used rubberized undercoating on the whole inside of the machine.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Poptop
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:18:51 pm »

There are pleanty of beautiful "proper" restorations out there.    biggrin

A freebee machine that starts it's new life such as yours is may be the perfect machine for a fun, personal
restoration/preservation.  hopefull

Theme it as you dream it...and feel proud to show us the results...something different and tasteful
is always easy on the eyes and a good reason to smile!  happydrinkers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: