SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 04:19:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sign Preservation  (Read 1788 times)
Aron

« on: February 01, 2010, 10:25:04 am »

For you guys who have signs in your collection -- what do you use to clean or preserve old tin signs?  Do you use a buffing agent or wax of any kind to provide protection?  Thanks!
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:28:52 am »

Aaron, welcome to the Board!!
Regarding the signs... best is to clean them up good first with an autumotive paint cleaner like a Mothers cleaner polisher.  once they are clean to your liking, then yes a good auto wax is good to apply every year or 2, depending on where you display them... I do the fronts and backs of mine, helps keep them in good shape for me, and future collectors down the road..

Lets see what you have!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 06:20:49 pm »

Enamel signs are easy to care for, but some (not all) painted signs should be treated gently. I have a Pepsi and RC sign that I care for in the manner mentioned above, but I have a Nugrape sign that I am afraid to put anything on because the finish appears to be fragile and I fear i may rub the paint off.

But I use Mother's products on everything else in my small collection. And I use micro fiber towels so as not to leave small scratches.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: