SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 04:30:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Pickers on History Channel  (Read 9360 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: January 25, 2010, 02:45:45 pm »

Have you guys checked out the new Show on History, It's called American Pickers.  It's two guys are buyers, they drive around the counrtry (not sure on radius) and buy stuff out of peoples barns, backyards, storage sheds... They get a lead on a place that is out in the country with a bunch of old barns,sheds and go knock on the door and ask if they have any old stuff they might be interested in selling?.. they go through the stuff and make offers and then of course turn around and sell it to antique dealers etc.. Pretty cool show, interesting as I know alot of us are similar in nature... love to find a deal on something and sell it for profit! I actually met these guys about 4 years ago, they are from Iowa/Quad Cities area. I bought a Vendo 81 off them and met them in southern WI to pick up. I had a burger with them at a restaurant and that is where they told me of this show they where trying to get picked up.. that was 4 years ago and looks like they dream came true!.

I checked it out on History Channel and found it interesting that there are a ton of posts on how many people don't like the show, calling these guys theives, etc...

from what I've seen (one show so far ) they are offering cash to these people who are pretty excited to get Money for stuff they had no plan on doing anything with?  I don't see much wrong in that? they are making the seller happy, and in the long run making some money? Isnt' that what Free Enterprise is?

Check it out!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 03:15:23 pm »

I caught part of the show earlier today when I was in the dispatch center...looks pretty cool!  You are right, that is a lot like what many of us do (or strive to do)!  I'll have to watch for it in the future!

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Crazzy Canuck
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 03:50:32 pm »

I just had the wife add the history channel to my dish package. I wanted it for pawn stars but when I saw the Pickers coming on, I had to have it.

You're right tho. We are like pickers ourselves. I used to have 3 pickers picking for me all the time. Wife hated because on Saturdays and Sundays there were always a truck and trailer pulling up. They were either picking accross the country or coming from an auction.

Looking forward to seeing my first episode tomorrow night as I'm finally gonna be home for a day.

Always buying "off brand" machines and ice chests
Constant buyer of vmc 33-3D's & Jacobs 26
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 08:38:39 pm »

It's on tonight at 9pm EST, I think I'll watch it.

Brian
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:24:39 am »

Saw the show tonight.  Thought it was great.  Lots of cool old stuff and places I would love to walk through.  Looks like they like the old coke stuff as well.  Looks like one of their days at the office is a lot more fun than one of mine!

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 10:16:02 pm »

Watched 2 DVR'd episodes tonight...cool show, but the guys are kind of annoying! Makes me want to drive around, but obviously those guys have no family and I do! darn biggrin  darn  biggrin

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 06:47:22 am »

At first it struck me as funny  they  did the same things I do, pretend not be interested ,use code phrases with   my buddy on a find.  but when oh by golly  he has a motorcycle side car frame which is the exact thing the next guy  needed I remembered this is a made for TV show, so it will be set up

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 07:41:46 am »

Nice show! I know we would ALL love to do the same thing but traveling all over the place in search of that great find requires a lot of time and money to accomplish

My six cents,

Jim

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 10:00:51 am »

It is an fun show to watch, fun to see these "Treasure Troves" , and would be fun to go through them,.. your right they are kind of annoying to listen to..
one thing I don't like however with these shows is the values they through out... LIke on this last show, he found a big ol 48" coke button, chips , rust and the bottom had a portion cut out.. he got it for 250, and said the value is 500..  so now everyone with one of those laying around thinks it's worth 500, at least people who watch this show... it would be fun to see it go all the way to auction or to the sale, to see if they actually got that much... but it's TV.. and its' suppose to be entertainment, not fact! (they should print that on the bottom of the screen)!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 04:21:09 pm »

Well I watched my first episode of American Pickers last night... Fantastic. I may even treat myself to the dvd collection.
Probably have to wait months for it to air back home.

Can't believe how many people there are out there with acres of junk (I mean treasures) ....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: