SMC Discussion Areas
April 28, 2024, 05:51:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Powder Coating question for those who powdercoat your machine parts  (Read 10311 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: December 02, 2009, 05:25:32 pm »

on the last 5-7 machines I've done, I've had the inside tubs, stack parts, shelves and misc parts powder coated.. and each time my powder coat guy complains about something called "outgassing"... says it makes the process take longer, basically when the parts are heated after powder is applied, the old galvanizing releases gasses that cause the powder coat in some spots to "pucker" out.. hence having to strip and redo.. (timely and costly procedure).

we obviously try to blast off the old galvanizing and even pressure steam clean the parts for grease/oils etc... but sometimes it still happens... have any of you guys who restore and powder coat have this problem and if so , how do you address it?

Just curious.. as it only happens once in a while but now my guy is hesitant as it takes him a long time to do one tub when this happens and he either has to charge me more or continue to take a loss..which don't think he wants to do?

just curious.

Thanks
John

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Crazzy Canuck
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 06:26:54 pm »

After you do your blasting, wipe it down with vinegar. The vinager will neutralize the galvanize:biggrin:e. Hey I made a ryme. LOL
 Never had it happen to me either
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:54:28 pm by Crazzy Canuck » Logged

Always buying "off brand" machines and ice chests
Constant buyer of vmc 33-3D's & Jacobs 26
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 11:46:47 pm »

I had that happen on a few shelves, but that was it. The tub was perfect.
I had more problems putting the bottle rack back together...Everything was a tighter fit...Do you drill the holes out a little before sending the stuff to the powdercoater?

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 11:50:01 pm »

Ive had tons of parts powdercoated and have not once have this happen, Never even heard of it until you mentioned it awhile back.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 12:13:21 am »

When I had my 39 tub powder coated he asked if I could have it stripped/or blasted first because of that... he then ran it through the oven/heat first with another job to see if that would release the gal gasses first...
then he coated it... had no problem

the guy who does your plating... does he have a big enough vat to dip/strip the tub? that would do it... just have them strip it all off but then you'd have to get it coated fast... bare metal... Green Bay weather... not good

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 12:28:36 am »

Since I've posted this, I've been talking with him some more, and doing some more research and yes we do blast the peices ahead of time, but maybe not good enough?  I'm going to try another guy, going to see him tomorrow.
I've also read that Pre-baking the stuff is a good idea to get it to release the gasses before powder, so may try that as well.
just was curious as to others experience... I still love the powder coating , we found a color that looks just like the zinc process we first used, but  I think the powder is better...

the stuff turns out really nice, he just wants to do it only once per item and not twice like whats been happening...

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 12:30:22 am »

I had more problems putting the bottle rack back together...Everything was a tighter fit...Do you drill the holes out a little before sending the stuff to the powdercoater?

The only thing on a stack that I would PC would be the faceplate - everything else zinc plate with minimal thickness.
On my coin mechs I have to specify minimum thickness on the zinc plating. If I don't, lots of things don't fit. Even still some parts give me problems. I know some colors in PC are a 2-step process, which means double thickness. Check with him next time about a single layer color.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 10:19:06 am »

Still zinc most of my bottle stack parts... just for that reason.. I've had shelves and tubs powdered...
I think i did have some parts on a stack powdered once to try it ,but dont' recall any issues?

each one is different, and each powder coat guy will be different too I'd guess... just a matter of finding the right combo.

RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 03:59:34 pm »

Yep. it happens. And like those before me have said, the parts can be run through the heating process to get the item to off gas before the powder is applied.

I prefer a hamertone finish to the powder. Less expensive and I think it looks better to..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: