SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 03:48:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT- Hide your GPS's  (Read 7525 times)
bubba
Soda Jerks

« on: December 08, 2009, 08:31:48 am »

With the holidays approaching, so do thefts.. I made the mistake on Friday last week of not taking my gps out of the window. I got to work at 6:20 am. By 7:30, my window was smashed and the gps was gone. One of our tenants has security cameras installed in the parking lot. We can see the guy entering the driveway, and leaving exactly 1 minute later. Its probably 100' from the driveway entrance to my car. My insurance agent said he's been getting loads of calls lately about the same thing.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:26:41 am »

I'm so sorry Ken.

And not to hijack your thread, but there was a news item on the local station last nigh. People were getting double hit, their GPS and the garage door  opener was stolen form the car then the scumbags were looking up the victim's home addresses stored in the GPS , and hitting the houses by getting rthrough the garage!!!

I'm passing it along because I never ever thought of being that devious. Be care ful out there, hide your stuff,  lock the car, and be careful.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 09:58:43 am »

If I ever have to park my truck outside, I've been bringing my G-opener inside with me. That kind of crap has been going on for years around here.

Sorry for your loss Ken! That is why we pay for insurance though - right?  upside

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
vendo39
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 10:07:36 am »

That has been happening here in Kansas City as well.  I reprogrammed the "Home" address on all the GPS's to the address of the police station which is about a half a mile from my house! biggrin

Brian

Vendo 39, 44, 56, 81B
Vendo Changer, early
Vendo Changer, late
Dr. Pepper Queen Anne
Nesbitts Ideal 85

Popperette, Stoner JR, Stoner 180,
Stoner Theater, Mills Candy, Canteen Candy
ducatihummer
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 10:31:54 am »

That's a good one Brian! I'll have to remember to do that as well.

Frank

Vendo 110 LD
Vendo 81D
Vendo 56
VMC 33
Vendo Changer, Early
Vendo Changer, Late

Stoner Theater w/Gum
Stoner JR w/Gum
Stoner 180 w/Gum
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:08:26 pm »

That is a good one Brian......I'll try that .. cause in all reality I think I know where I live by now...
it's just a good rule of thumb to put in a fake address in the GPS.. so when you hit home, when in a place that you need immediate directions, at least it will point you in the right direction... but obviously when you get close to your city, I would think you should know where to go?

Too bad we have to live in a world like that... but hey....

Crack Aint Free... and you gott buy it somehow!!!  glare

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 12:12:03 pm »

Never ever leave anything of value in plain sight, windows and locks only keep out honest thieves. Another scam is dirt bags will sit in their car by best buy.  wait for some poor sucker to come out with his new LCD, plasma tv, laptop. They watch you put it in your vehicle then drive across the mall parking lot.. While you are now shopping at Kohls, Walmart they break into your vehicle. I have done hundreds of police reports for this.  
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 01:15:56 pm »

If I ever have to park my truck outside, I've been bringing my G-opener inside with me. That kind of crap has been going on for years around here.

Sorry for your loss Ken! That is why we pay for insurance though - right?  upside

Of course, I have a $500 deductible on the car an on my homeowners which would have covered the gps. To have someone replace the window it would have cost me about $400 - less than the deductible of course. I ended up buying the window for $200 and installing it myself. The gps cost me $250 about a month ago. So thats a loss. And the bigger kick in the ass is this same gps I thought I got a good deal on is now selling for almost $100 less.

I did have my home button set to home. We have been taking extra precautions around the house, but I'm not really that worried. The guy that stole it isn't looking to get into my house. I'm sure he pawned it on the street corner within minutes. These all have locks on them so you have to enter a password to turn it on. I'll be doing that on the next one for sure. My garage door opener is still in the car luckily. I don't keep that out in the open.

When the cops finally showed up about 8hrs later, I showed them the video. They said it should be an easy catch as they got a good image of the guy. I don't ever expect to hear anything or see my gps, but it would be nice to know he got caught. I will recognize the guy and if I ever see him on the street, he will have a piece of pipe across his knees.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:17:54 pm by bubba » Logged

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 01:34:29 pm »

I will recognize the guy and if I ever see him on the street, he will have a piece of pipe across his knees.
Go Tonya Harding!! You go girl!!  tounge
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 05:22:12 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
mrsoda
25 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 05:10:01 pm »

Sorry for the loss, would love to catch the guy, shoot him in the leg and put him into an empty 110 , and leave him in there for a week or two. If you steal from  a soda collector this is what you should get in return.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: