SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 03:50:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American VS Canadian machines  (Read 3479 times)
Crazzy Canuck
25 Cent Member

« on: November 10, 2009, 11:43:17 am »

I've alway felt this. You guys/gals in The States are fortunate when it comes to collecting/finding machines and coolers as there were soooo many different models produced there. Up here in Canada it seems like all we had from Vendo was the 39, 44 and 80. Chest type all we had was the Kelvinator and the odd Quickold
 Many times when I did the shows in Chicago, I'd take down 8 or 10 machines but would come back with about 15. laugh I just love all the different models and especially the off brands that would show up.

Always buying "off brand" machines and ice chests
Constant buyer of vmc 33-3D's & Jacobs 26
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 11:51:14 am »

I wonder why this fact exist.

Anybody have any idea why there is such a larger variety of makes and models in the U.S. ?
Crazzy Canuck
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:58:55 am »

I always felt because of demographics and population. Many more (for example) Coke plants/facilities in the States compared to us in Canada and I always felt that were kinda a hub from the States when it came to testing what would work and what didn't work in forms of sales and advertising.

RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 02:17:27 pm »

I considered the population as a consideration. I was also thinking that the weather may have destroyed more sheet metal and machines in Canada then in the lower 48. But I was just guessing.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 02:21:45 pm »

Think yourselves lucky... You only have to cross a land boarder... Us poor guys across the pond have to travel 5,000 miles...

Dave
Kapri
5 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 04:49:18 pm »

Think yourselves lucky... You only have to cross a land boarder... Us poor guys across the pond have to travel 5,000 miles...

Dave

Just what I was about to say Dave!
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 05:49:17 pm »

I suspect that it also had to do with the simple economics of demand and distribution channels.  A lot of the off-brand machines in the US were placed by local and regional soda manufacturers.  Often times, in gas stations and corner stores.  With many more population centers in the US than Canada, there were a lot more opportunities for the soda companies and therefore a lot more machines placed in stores and other venues.  That's my uneducated guess anyway!

While the variety of the machines in Canada may be limited, one of my favorites in my collection is a Kelvinator FE-51 that was originally in a general store on Pelee Island in the middle of Lake Erie!  I can't wait to get it completely refinished but it looks good as is.  The chrome trim was something not seen on many US machines.

drinking Tim drinking
Crazzy Canuck
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 06:45:42 pm »

ya mzn those machines have a real nice art deco look. When you have it restored, rechrome all the pieces and where the black is painted on the chrome, paint it red. I used to do this all the time and it really stands out terrific!  Nice original btw

RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 10:21:16 pm »

I agree, they do have an art deco look to them. I wouldn't mind having one of those in my collection.

And I do consider myself lucky to be located in an area where there is an abundance of really cool looking soda machines from the fifties.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: