SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 06:58:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware Of Craigscam, I mean Craigslist  (Read 4345 times)
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« on: October 13, 2009, 08:44:01 pm »

Don't think anybody here would ever fall for something like this but just be carefull when shopping Craigslist. Little story. I sold a Jukebox on e-bay a few months back for $6,500. It went to the Netherlands. Couple of weeks ago I was shopping the Los Angeles Craigslist. Came accoss a Jukebox ad same model as the one I sold, restored for $3,250. Opened the ad and almost fell out of my chair when I saw it was my picture. Did a Google search for the same ad and it came up in about 4 other editions. I e-mailed the "seller" as if I were a buyer. He gave a long story that he was indeed the owner but a shipping company is holding it for him until sold. He wanted my name and address so that they could invoice me for me to send payment then they would ship it out. It went something like that, very confussing. I asked him for a phone number but he said no because he had 30 intersted parties and he couldn't give out his number because he said he would be on the phone all day.  We are still exchanging e-mails as I'm still pretending to be interested and trying to get any information to nail him but don't think it is going to happen. Just be carefull.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:46:47 pm by mygoose101 » Logged

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 09:19:48 pm »

Thanks for the info.

The more we speak out the wiser others will be...well...if they heed the advise.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:03:05 am »

That's a classic scam on Craiglist, and is even discussed in their fraud section.   One guy who claimed to have a Wurly 1015 even sent me a link to the "shipping companY"", I knew better than to click it, let alone provide bank info.
 If I can't come over to see the item, I tag it as a scam and   walk, sadly the scammers know to use  non ISP addresses ( gmail, hotmail, yahoo etc) so they can't be traced back to a street address.

And while I'm on the soap box, all my Craigslit  sales have been cash only. your bank can take weeks to tell you the money order  or cashier's check you received was a fraud.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:11:05 pm »

Every time I place adds i get phishing. I am using it to teach my daughter how to notice the details that tells her the email should be deleted before opening. Also the ones that do pass the mustard and are opened are usually worded so the they can be cut and pasted quickly for a number of different items. They normally don't even mention the item by name but instead by price. "do you still have this item, if so I would like to purchase it. But I am away on a business trip, so my secretary will get you a check."  Yeah right. "call me when you get home and we will talk via the telephone. Thank you."
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 08:11:49 pm »

Every time I put an ad on to buy machines I get people sending me emails on making money on the internet. It's a pain but well worth putting up with. This is the only place I can find really good deals. I missed a Cavalier 72 for $100 by 1 call a couple of days ago. I bought one about 2 months ago for $475 and another guy had one for $450 but can't seem to get him to send me a picture. Computer illiterate or could be a scam. The problem I have is being a little too late or never getting a reply.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:19:21 am »

I too get a ton of emails after I list something on Craigslist.. "Do you need Money, are you hard up for cash, blah blah blah.."
but just like Ebay,, they are still good places to find and buy stuff, you just have to put up with fees, rules and spam.. but in the long run deals and stuff can still be found and sometimes you can sell stuff for higher price as to what you'd get locally on ebay as the exposure is there.. so i guess we just put up or shut up.. hmm biggrin

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 08:03:28 pm »

When I get the scamming emails I usually forward all my "junk" emails to them. Let them waste time and sort it out.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
tony73tt

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 02:11:12 pm »

I have had a similar incident, i e-mailed a guy who had a cavalier 56 for sale asking if he would sell to the U.K. He responded immediatley via a phone call, strange i thought as i am in the U.K.
Anyway he went on to say yes no problem, he had a sister who worked for U.P.S and she would ship to my door for $300!!!! (Family Discount Etc)
I located his address on the google mapping, and told him i knew someone locally who would come around and look at it, he responded with......Sorry i am getting married this weekend so i will be very busy, never heard from him since.....Could have easily had my money had i not been suspicious.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: