SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 06:27:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please excuse a stupid question...  (Read 4546 times)
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« on: June 29, 2009, 08:23:32 pm »

Having read through many of the post here I am amazed at the depth of knowledge that is present on this forum. I am also amazed at how little I know.

That said I have a stupid question. I am about to take my mid eighties Vendo to the recycling center. It stopped work a few years back. When plugged in it tries to start but then stops after a few seconds. Anyway, my question is: besides the coin mech is there anything I should keep that might be useful in restoring my Cavalier 96 square top (or anything else)? Is the cooling system useful (although of course not historically accurate) for older machines etc?

I am trying to avoid a Homer Simpson (DOH!) moment. I"d hate to junk it and then find out I ditched something useful.

Thanks!
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 09:28:35 pm »

What model is it?

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 10:41:35 pm »

When plugged in it tries to start but then stops after a few seconds. 

The start relay senses a problem and shuts off the compressor, that's it's function.
May be a simple fix, although if it's a newer machine, the coin mech and compressor are
worth more than the whole darned thing  darn

Glen
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 12:11:07 am »

Bubba- not sure, it's kinda buried in the garage. I'll try to dig it out ASAP.

Moon- could the compressor be used on an older machine (not that it would be historically correct but if I wanted to use the machine myself and didn't care)? If not what would it be good for as the newer machines are not collectible.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 08:24:22 am »

The compressors compatibility depends on a few factors. What is the make of the machine? It should say on the front. Dixie-Narco, Vendo or Cavalier. If its one of the last two the cooling system should work in many machines. It depends on what side the lines go up from the compressor area to the evaporator coil and how big the evaporator coil is. Can you snap a picture of the inside?
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 12:38:17 pm »

It is a Vendo 345-193.

Here are a few pics of the inards with the chute removed.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 01:38:40 pm »

It looks like the system will work in most Vendo machines after 1960.
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 04:58:40 pm »

Thanks for the info! I will definitely take it out before junking the machine. Any tips on that or anything else I should keep (besides the coin mech and bottle opener)?

Thanks!

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 05:23:49 pm »

I don't know how much you know about these machines so I apologize if I am explaining what you already know. The cooling system is all one piece and you do not need to drain the R12 to remove it. Both the upper an lower come out as one piece. Once you take it out the the evaporator will droop and can break a coolant line. I suggest building a simple stand to hold the evaporator up. I attached a pic of one I just made. I usually make them nicer but this one was improvised out of scrap wood. Its always a good idea to have an extra cooling system just in case. Your system should work in most Vendo's but the evaporator is too tall to use in a cavalier like a cavalier 64. You can use it but the bottom selection shelf will have to be removed.
rugrunner
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 06:04:56 pm »

Thanks for the tip and info. I know absolutely nothing about these machine other then they are very cool and cheaper then classic cars so you will have a hard time giving me too simple a tip, I need all the help I can get and only hope to not wear out my welcome by asking stupid questions.

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: